Saddle longeviety

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Johnnysmooth

by Johnnysmooth

My bike has a Prologo Nago saddle that is about 4-5yrs old and seen about 30K miles. On recent rides this Spring, been more difficult to find the sweet spot on saddle and beginning to wonder if saddle is fatigued and due for replacement or has my body just changed a bit and this particular saddle no longer fits the way it once did.

So question to this esteemed forum:
How often do you replace your saddle - is there a saddle life/range?

BTW on other bike, have Fizik Aliante which also fits me quite well.
It only hurts if you think.

mimason

by mimason

The leather on my Selle looks crappy after 2 years so that's what I do. Maybe premature but I also run a carbon rail and the saddle is thin. I think if I used it 4+ years I would have already cracked it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

Varies on usage and construction. The original SI Flite saddle would sag noticeably after about 10K km, I would be fine on it and then start to have "issues". I think any saddle with a nylon/plastic base is probably the same. The original Fizik Arione saddles were also well-known for sag in the base. Saddles with CF bases like the high-end Aliante can last much longer. I have one that has probably over 40K km on it and it honestly does not feel much different than the new one I just put on another bike.

jpanspac

by jpanspac

I've never worn out a saddle.
My favorite components are the ones I never have to think about.

Johnnysmooth

by Johnnysmooth

Bigger Gear wrote:Varies on usage and construction. The original SI Flite saddle would sag noticeably after about 10K km, I would be fine on it and then start to have "issues". I think any saddle with a nylon/plastic base is probably the same. The original Fizik Arione saddles were also well-known for sag in the base. Saddles with CF bases like the high-end Aliante can last much longer. I have one that has probably over 40K km on it and it honestly does not feel much different than the new one I just put on another bike.

That may indeed be the case here - it's all about the materials of construction. My Aliante w/ CF base is still holding up strong but this nago seems to be sagging into the rails (which is also what happened to by Selle Flite) thus the discomfort.
It only hurts if you think.