Alternative continental gp 4000s

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MikeDee

by MikeDee

Derf wrote:
MikeDee wrote:Interesting that while not a performance tire by your definition, the 4000S has a lower rolling resistance than the Vittoria Open Corsa.

Citation? In no CRR study that have I seen is that true.

http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com ... ke-reviews

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Specialized Turbo Cotton.

/end thread.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

istigatrice

by istigatrice

I've debunked the bicyclerollingresistance data in another thread. If you're interested see there. Essentially I'm sceptical that the guy running it truly understands what he's trying to achieve, and the validity of his model.

If you're riding on steel, diamond hatched rollers the contis will be faster.

That said, I do like the contis, if they weren't $50 a tyre I'd run them exclusively (they're a little too expensive for a training tyre and not quite a race tyre in my books - they're a great middle ground if you need to train and race on one set of tyres).

If you're looking for alternatives for whatever reason it's hard to beat the feel of Vittoria Corsa/Open Corsa tyres. If you're looking for durability I've found a nice happy ground with the Rubino Pros (heck what more could you want from a training tyre/bad weather race tyre).
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

MikeDee

by MikeDee

I find the shear number of Vittoria tire models totally confusing. They need to simplify their line of tires or at least publish a guide so the consumer can make a proper choice. I'm not a fan of colored rubber or dual compound tread either. What's with cotton in the casing? I don't see cotton as a very strong material to be used in tire construction. I hesitate to change from Conti 4000S tires. Most cyclists around here use them and nobody complains about them. For me, they are durable, ride, and handle well, and are reasonably priced from UK suppliers (about $36 a tire).

fogman

by fogman

I am going to try Vredestein Fortezza Senso All Weather as an alternative to my Conti GP4000S II.
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

Attermann

by Attermann

Don't, i don't like the tire coming from gp4000s, i need High pressure, 8-12 bar i run it at 9.5 in the back, and it still feels wobbly, and i doesn't seem to roll well, atleast that's what my mind is telling me, it feels kinda dead

Marin

by Marin

Whoa, I hope you are >100kg at these pressures!

Attermann

by Attermann

Marin wrote:Whoa, I hope you are >100kg at these pressures!

About 80 kg, the tyre is very compressed when i have less in, and almost swims along on the road, and the recommended pressure is 8-12 bar :)

BRM

by BRM

Attermann wrote:Don't, i don't like the tire coming from gp4000s, i need High pressure, 8-12 bar i run it at 9.5 in the back, and it still feels wobbly, and i doesn't seem to roll well, atleast that's what my mind is telling me, it feels kinda dead

With so much pressure you loose constantly contact with the road. In fact you"re bouncing on the road instead of rolling, which makes you slower . . . .

:smartass:

dunbar42

by dunbar42

istigatrice wrote:That said, I do like the contis, if they weren't $50 a tyre I'd run them exclusively (they're a little too expensive for a training tyre and not quite a race tyre in my books - they're a great middle ground if you need to train and race on one set of tyres).

They're $40USD from the UK sites and I got 8k miles out of my last pair. One puncture and one pinch flat over those 8k miles. Hard to beat that on a cost-per-mile basis.

As far as the rolling resistance, the GP4000S has consistently tested very well on a variety of steel roller tests (not just the one referenced.)

luckypuncheur

by luckypuncheur

Comparing the 4000S with a Rubino is interesting (to say the least).

Ever tried a Vittoria or Veloflex in bad weather conditions? If yes, you probably already stopped using them. [emoji6]

The most important feature of a racing tire is (at least in my book) reliability in all conditions (followed by low rolling resistance). No other tire comes close to the 4000S or Competition (if you prefer tubs) in this regard. And yes, I've been on quite many (not to say all) of those mentioned in this thread.
Get a bicycle. You will certainly not regret it, if you live.

Marin

by Marin

I agree, the Contis are right at the sweet spot.

I run my 25mm ones at 5.5 bar, I'm almost 80 kg.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

@luckypuncheur, for a couple of years now i only ride on vittoria open corsas in spring/summer and on paves in fall and winter weather. Last year only one puncture was had while riding the paves. This year i hope not to puncture.

If you read my post well, you would have seen why i compare the rubino to the 4000. It is because of their stiff, garden hose like, feel.

A racing tire should be reliable in the expected conditions. An allround tire should be reliable in all conditions. A racing car should be reliable on the race track, for the duration of the event. An allround car should be reliable all year round.

Horses for courses.

Tape is for wrapping gifts to your girlfriend, not to hold a freaking tire on!
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

de zwarten

by de zwarten

dunbar42 wrote:
istigatrice wrote:That said, I do like the contis, if they weren't $50 a tyre I'd run them exclusively (they're a little too expensive for a training tyre and not quite a race tyre in my books - they're a great middle ground if you need to train and race on one set of tyres).

They're $40USD from the UK sites and I got 8k miles out of my last pair. One puncture and one pinch flat over those 8k miles. Hard to beat that on a cost-per-mile basis.

As far as the rolling resistance, the GP4000S has consistently tested very well on a variety of steel roller tests (not just the one referenced.)

That sounds like you better put a Tacx tire on your bicycle, or put 15 bars in your tire like you would if trying to break the hour record.

Roads are NOT steel rollers. I hope I made that clear.

That's said, I have to admit I am a big big fan of Vittoria / Veloflex and think life is too short to ride harsh/durable tires on a bike.
I do 10.000K a year and on average one flat/year, mostly due to glass etc.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nickinco

by nickinco

Anther vote for Specialized tires - Turbo Pro 25 for training, S-Works Turbo 24 for racing. The Turbo Pro's are $40 and hold up well, comparable ride quality to gp4000, and the S-Works, either standard or cotton, ride awesome but wear quickly