Alternative continental gp 4000s

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

racersir

by racersir

If rims are wide I would go with 25mm I used them with the Reynolds Strike SLG and they feel better than the 23mm

djcharlou

by djcharlou

Paul Lew himself said that 23mm is better for his Reynolds Wheels. I have Aero 72, 23mm sit perfectly and 25mm is too big on it

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Timmy269

by Timmy269

Thanks for the info.

Which innertub should I take, with 60mm valve or 80mm?

Marin

by Marin

One that fits your rims, or use a valve extender :)

Timmy269

by Timmy269

Which innertube of 80mm has no thread of the whole length of the valve?

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Timmy269 wrote:Which innertube of 80mm has no thread of the whole length of the valve?

I've tried to look for such a tube with no luck.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez wrote:Gp 4000 S II have one of the lowest rolling resistance, even if it doesn't feel as supple as Veloflex or Vittorias.
Only beaten by... Continental TT clincher (named Podium or something like that) not in this test but another one.

Where did that info come from?

Conti themselves have said that the only thing changed about the new GP4000S II is cosmetic. The fact that you are showing such a huge reduction in Crr doesn't make sense.
EDIT: Doh! Need better eyes. I see that the latex tube is the difference. But I still question the Vit Corsa having more resistance.

I've tested 3 of the older GP4000S and they good considering their durability and longevity, but none are as fast as the 2 Vit Corsa CXs or 1 Triathlon I've tested. The Force and usually the Attack are about the same as the Vits. The Supersonics are better yet.

IME the black chilli tread is awesome for resisting glass cuts and the vectran belt is very good as well. In another league from Vittoria and Veloflex on that score, though I've found I can use those on the front and they will last a long time. The GP4000 just seems to transmit more buzz on rougher surfaces.
formerly rruff...

dunbar42

by dunbar42

Timmy269 wrote:Which innertube of 80mm has no thread of the whole length of the valve?

I use these on my Zipp 404's.

http://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-inner ... 82228.html

BRM

by BRM

Whats the reason you dont want that?
Thread gives just more grip for most pumps. Especially when its only a short piece what is sticking out..

Timmy269

by Timmy269

It is not so nice. Why must there over whole the valve of 80mm be thread?

Now I use 60mm of schwalbe and Specialized but with those of Specialized I can't screw my pump on it, think they are a few mm shorter.
With a valve of 80mm, the valve sticks 30mm out of the rim and that looks not so nice. I need one of 65 mm :D

BRM

by BRM

Manufacturers just gives approx measurements. Seems to be too difficult to give real mm. There is no line in that. Often different than you expect. Cyclingindustry is hopeless disorganised.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

MattSoutherden wrote:The Vittoria equivalent of the 4000s is the Open Corsa Evo CX II

I'd say the vitt equivalent of the 4000s is the rubino. The open corsa evo is a completely different tire. The 4000s is made in a completely different way from the Corsa line of tires. 4000's are vulcanised and come in their tire shape out of the mold whereas the Corsas are a strip of nature rubber glued to a cotton/polyester base. The latter is made like a tubular and is a performance tire. While the 4000 is made with durability in mind.

Okay, stepping down from the soap box. Although it felt great to share some knowledge again.

@OP: durability vs performance is answered above. The schwalbe one is a super tire as well. The best thing in my experience is to just buy a set and ride them.

Tape is for wrapping gifts to your girlfriend, not to hold a freaking tire on!
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

The latex inner tubes by Challenge have a smooth stem. Only the top part is threaded.

'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

MikeDee

by MikeDee

Frankie - B wrote:
MattSoutherden wrote:The Vittoria equivalent of the 4000s is the Open Corsa Evo CX II

I'd say the vitt equivalent of the 4000s is the rubino. The open corsa evo is a completely different tire. The 4000s is made in a completely different way from the Corsa line of tires. 4000's are vulcanised and come in their tire shape out of the mold whereas the Corsas are a strip of nature rubber glued to a cotton/polyester base. The latter is made like a tubular and is a performance tire. While the 4000 is made with durability in mind.

Okay, stepping down from the soap box. Although it felt great to share some knowledge again.

@OP: durability vs performance is answered above. The schwalbe one is a super tire as well. The best thing in my experience is to just buy a set and ride them.

Interesting that while not a performance tire by your definition, the 4000S has a lower rolling resistance than the Vittoria Open Corsa.

Derf

by Derf

MikeDee wrote:Interesting that while not a performance tire by your definition, the 4000S has a lower rolling resistance than the Vittoria Open Corsa.

Citation? In no CRR study that have I seen is that true.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com