new bike - are cranks on ok? (with photo)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Svetty

by Svetty

The whole point of the wavy washer is to regulate the preload. If you fully compress it to obliterate the space you negate its function. It's fine as it is - stop worrying, just ride and enjoy it. :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

g32ecs

by g32ecs

My Felt is the same (uses BB30, my cranks are Ultegra). Initially it worried me but my bike's been problem free from the day I got it.

deek

by deek

rossjm11 wrote:Put another spacer in there... I make sure mine is basically flush everytime. I had a similar look going when I installed my latest BB30 crankset. Added another washer and it filled that space right up. I am pretty sure it doesn't really matter too much how compressed the washer is. I do not like the idea of road grime being able to get into that little space. As long as you get it to the right torque, it should be fine, but by adding a washer(s) you can get it flush.

It definitely matters how compressed the washer is. That washer is what axially preloads the bearings. If you have the washer totally flush, you will be crushing your bearings when you tighten down the spindle.

You want just enough preload so that you don't feel the cranks move side to side when pedalling.

Edit: Oh, new page.

bikedoc

by bikedoc

The wavy washer is a terrible solution to a problem that only exist because the tolerances things are made to isn't good enough. Even if it's fitted 'correctly' it still allows side to side play which will eventually wear things out and creak. The best solution is get rid of it and and do it right by finding the right width spacers to get rid of any play.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Boy, is that advice wrong, "bikedoc". As others have said, the wavy washer gives you the right preload when compresses. Unless there is a threaded adjuster, (which is a valid alternative), just adding spacers has a very high probability of overloading the bearings, or underloading them.

ednino

by ednino

No movement anywhere
Drive side

goodboyr

by goodboyr

No movement and slight compression of wavy washer = time to ride!

ednino

by ednino

300 miles covered & creaking from the bb area
Thoughts?

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

BB30 creaks

If it's not tight it's okay