Real Design 1080g wheelset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

carbon337

by carbon337

I've picked up a set of light tubs from a team mate. They are real design 1080g L’Eclisse. Listed here. http://www.real-wheels.com/Home/2004-2008.html

Im getting then v cheap and they seem in great condition with very little use. It claims they use a zipp 202 rim.

Question is has anyone used these older zipp202 rims and did you suffer horrendous brake vibrations? It's not so bad at high speed but low speed it nearly vibrates you off the bars.

Any tips to get rid of this vibration. I've used them on road bike and TT bike and found the same issue. Both using yellow swisstops.

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Resonance can be down to alot of things. You have to change the resonant frequency of the front end. pad set up can help but a change if bars, fork stem can make a big chnage also. It maybe a change of all three or just one It does not have to be a big change but something has to change If you are going to keep thd wheels. You cannot predict which wheel will cause resonance that requires fem analysis of the bike and rider.

carbon337

by carbon337

Think ill start cleaning the surface well, what's the best product to use? Is something like nail varnish remover safe?

Edit: The point of the post really was to find out if anything in particular was needed on these zipp 202 rims, like a particular type of pad for instance. Since its doing it on two bikes i dont think its a bar, headset etc etc type of thing. I dont get this issue using my FFWD F6R race tubs that i use on the same bikes.

Step 1 clean
Step 2 try different pad type - any recommendations for this older 202 rim?

eric

by eric

I'd use Zipp pads. The Yellows are the worst carbon pad out there with the possible exception of Kool-stop carbon pads.

ergott

by ergott

Back in the day Zipps used to have an uneven brake track (width variance). If those are older generation rims that could be it and there's no solution. Carbon rims have come a long way in the last 10 years.