Recon 11 speed cassettes (for 10 spd and 11 spd hubs)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Big Mig

by Big Mig

Not sure if anyone had posted this. its been a while since i was here..

Anyway, I was able to score some recons.. The designer claims that they had solved the issue of disposing your 10spd specific shimano wheelsets and buying new 11 speed wheelsets just to accomodate the 11 speed shimano cassettes (Unless you have mavics)

They finally made an 11 speed shimano specific cassette that would fit 10 speed shimano hubs (not an issue for campyphiles)

I also got the 11 speed specific cogs.

Will be trying this out when i get the clearance to ride on the road again (still off the saddle due to an injury)

The left set is the 11 spd cassettes for 10spd hubs. The right set is the 11 speed specific cassette.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mimason

by mimason

Let me know what you think about the Recons. I have the Token cassette in 11-28 and it does the 11sp trick for my DA C24 tubes. Using DI2 they shift pretty well and I don't need to grind down the cassette body or sell them off.

http://www.bikeradar.com/us/road/gear/c ... tte-49145/

trustbran

by trustbran

Maybe for a different topic, but how do those Recon Cassettes hold up as far as durability. I have heard mixed reviews a couple of years ago but not sure about the present time.

xena
Banned

by xena

I use recon. I also ride only on my 53t. I'm using a 11x27. It does make a difference how much shifting you do.
I tend to shift less than most people I ride with. I change mine after about 6 months of riding 4 x week 2/3 hour rides. I think the first one I ever used lasted nearly a year but shifting was not so good the last few months.
I would say 2 cassettes a year is a good way to go. You can pick them up quite cheap and they are very light.
Be tempting to try a superlight ti cassette.
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

I remember a few years ago the 10spd were hit/miss. Mine was. I do all my own wrenching except wheel building...and nobody could get it to shift properly with an entire SRAM setup. Then I talked to a few resellers, and they said "yes, these are 50/50"...haha...refund time. So I returned it no problems. But it was so light, little noisy due to the alloy design.

Let us know your setup and shifting experiences...noise etc.

Thx

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Hey Xena, where is the best place to get them cheap? I'm still using my first 10 speed one and done about 4000km on it and to be honest, it's still pretty good! Got a new 11 speed one to put on when I do my upgrade so would be looking at swapping them out more regularly post that

xena
Banned

by xena

dereksmalls wrote:Hey Xena, where is the best place to get them cheap? I'm still using my first 10 speed one and done about 4000km on it and to be honest, it's still pretty good! Got a new 11 speed one to put on when I do my upgrade so would be looking at swapping them out more regularly post that

You can get some good deals here. My last one 11x27 [gold] cost me just over £60 posted UK

its a site worth keeping a eye on has they seem to have a lot of sales.

http://cycletaiwan.com/recon-alloy-cnc- ... sette.html
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

Big Mig

by Big Mig

This new line was fine tuned by a japanese designer. Shifting is crisper compared to the previous gen as what they have claimed.

Lookinh forward to try this soon.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Recon alloy cassettes do not hold up. I probably only got 1-2k miles on mine before it would start skipping gears under load. Broke a tooth off the 13T cog in the first few months. I weigh 130 pounds, not really pushing out the mad watts.

djconnel

by djconnel

I love my Recon 10-speed cassettes. The key is to not be stupid and use them only when you really need them. So I like racing hill climbs and I use them only there. Since these rarely exceed 40 miles round trip that's a lot of hillclimbs in the rated 1500 miles. That's where seconds count anyway. If you want something to use every day stick with steel.

mimason

by mimason

The Token I am using is steel so I hope it fares better. The concern I have is the press fit carbon spider creaking or cracking. Like djconnel indicated this is for climbing only duty on some low use tubes.

As for Recon or any alloy cassette one should not expect durability or long life IMO.

Lucendi

by Lucendi

After about 1000 kms i broke a tooth off my 11-27t 11s Recon alu cassette. The shifting performance got gradually worse and under load it shifted up and down by itself so no big mystery how it happened.

I will save it as a decorative piece though, because it is absolutely beatiful.

-

Have anyone got any experience withe the full titanium cassettes Recon sells nowadays?

tommasini

by tommasini

No experiance with the recon Ti but can say loads of good things about their Recon steel mono-block. Durable and good shifting.....and super light. Gone forever should be the days of any aluminum cogged cassettes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com