Brake performance CA Bora Ultra/One in the rain

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bruno2000

by bruno2000

I have a set of LW Meilentein 2015. I love them very much and they do everything your could expect from a wheelset like this but braking in the rain is rubbisch, even dangerous. I rode the Liege -Bastogne-Liege challenge gran fondo this weekend in the rain with the LW brakepads.

*Would braking improve with the new Corima 2015 brakepads? The blue Shimano brakepads seemed to be very popular? The red Campagnolo/Fulcrum brakepads?

*I was looking at the new Bora clincger wheels to use as a second wheelset next to the LW for rainy days.
Who has experience with the brake performance of the Campagnolo Bora Ultra or One wheels with the 3Diamond surface in the rain?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrgray

by mrgray

Hi,
I've got the Bora One tubs (new wider rim) with the 3Diamond surface and wrote something about wet performance here. on reflection it works, but takes a while to start working. it is that delay which is off-putting.

viewtopic.php?f=113&t=132003
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

bruno2000

by bruno2000

Thx Mr Gray, problem with the LW wheels is that it does not start braking...even with delay...with the LW brakepads.

mrgray

by mrgray

Hi Brune,
besides what sounds like terrible wet weather braking how do you find your LW wheels? I am interested in getting a pair of the Gipfelsturms. How is the cross wind performance in the Meilenstein? is it ever a cause for concern? do you find them particularly aero and do you generally recommend them?

I am struck whenever I consider the purchase by the fact that they will cost around 3.5 times what the boras cost me. makes me wonder if i am not kidding myself? what have you ridden on before to compare them to for instance?

sorry this is off topic but i am interested in a users opinion.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

bruno2000

by bruno2000

Mr Gray,

In general I'm riding a lot big long rides and gran fondo's here in Belgium and sometimes in the French alpes but I don't do racing so speed (and aerodynamics) are not allways my first concern.
Lightness and stifness are more important.
I love riding wheels which accelerate well.
That's why I like the Mavic R-Sys SLR with exalith braketrack a lot, even though it' s not aero at all.
I honestly believe all the 'Aero-talk' on wheelsets is for 90% of us amateurs not that important.
Well not for me anyway, I've never finished a big Gran Fondo like th eTour of flanders, Tour du Mont blanc or Marmotte with more that 30K/h average. So my believe is why sacrifiyng weight for Aero.

I have been riding all type of wheels, from Mavic Ksyrium SLR, R-Sys SLR (which I liked very very much).
I've had Miche SWR full carbon clinchers and tubulars, Zipp 404 clinchers, Corima Aero 47mm clincher, LW standaard clincher, ...

On the new Meilensteins, I must admit braking in the rain is as poor as the previous versions of these wheels although LW claims htey have improved braking a lot by working on the rim. I don't feel it.
(that's why I was interested in the Bora Ultra clincher wheels)
I've sold my set of Mavic R-Sys SLR wheels to buy the Meilensteins and I can not say I'm riding faster now.
Offcourse the wheels are stiff, very light, accelerate very well, bearings are very good,...but in all honestly I have to say I also wanted them for the looks. You are riding LW and everybody is watching your bike...
Downside is braking in the rain and comfort.
I'm 80kg so I'm not very light but stifness is more that ok. Neverthelees they are suspect to cross-winds. Which is normal with a rim of 45mm and large flat spokes.

Attention, I've heard the Gipfelsturm might be lighter but not as stiff as the Meilenstein.