zipp 404 firecrest - Campy 11 speed to Shimano 11 speed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

aaric

by aaric

I'd say a Dura-ace chain with Di2. The campy chain (and KMC) is slightly narrower externally, and the adjustment process for the di2 will result in a chain that shifts slightly off in my experience, as its based on the noise the chain makes against the next higher cog to locate the chain properly on the cassette.

I'm sure you could try to figure out the width difference and calculate it versus how far the derailleur moves in each adjustment click, to come up with a slightly different procedure though...but I've just found it easier to use a shimano chain ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nejmann

by Nejmann

aaric wrote:I'd say a Dura-ace chain with Di2. The campy chain (and KMC) is slightly narrower externally, and the adjustment process for the di2 will result in a chain that shifts slightly off in my experience, as its based on the noise the chain makes against the next higher cog to locate the chain properly on the cassette.

I'm sure you could try to figure out the width difference and calculate it versus how far the derailleur moves in each adjustment click, to come up with a slightly different procedure though...but I've just found it easier to use a shimano chain ;)

Perfect! Thanks ;-)

reippuert

by reippuert

Slagter wrote:
Cheetahmk7 wrote:Just use your Campy 11 speed cassette. It will work fine.

True, but on the long run, that is a expensive solution. Campy cassettes cost twice the price as shimano cassettes.

True, but thet also outlasts an Ultegra casette
--
mvh. Morten Reippuert Knudsen @Merlin Works CR, Chorus 15, Reynolds 46/66

reippuert

by reippuert

Nejmann wrote:
Slagter wrote:^ old chain and new cassette is a really bad cocktail. Would you mind measuring the chain wear with a vernier? I wouldn't ride that combo if the chain is as little as 1/4 % worn.... Chorus cassettes are quite expensive.

I don't attend to drive it that way :-) Just tried it on the work stand.

So my next question is - Dura Ace Chain or Campagnolo chain for NEW campy cassette and NEW dura ace chainrings on 9070 Di2 :-) ?

According to Leonard Zinn (and most pro tour mechanics): Campy chain on campy 11-speed casette and Campy chain on Shimano 11-speed cassette. less noise, less wear, better shifting.
--
mvh. Morten Reippuert Knudsen @Merlin Works CR, Chorus 15, Reynolds 46/66