Looking for road build opinions.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Jcgill

by Jcgill

Hello, i have been lusting over Moots vamoots CR ti bikes for a few years. I finally am in the position to build one up, but now that discs are coming i am second guessing my build due to concerns of having an obsolete rim brake "lifetime titanium frame"

This thread is NOT to start a debate disc brakes vs. rim brakes.

I would like to build a bike that i can ride for several years (5-10) and upgrade occasionally instead of buying a whole new bike when i get bored (thats why i want ti).

Now i am considering the vamoots cr or vamoots disc road.

I think discs would be overkill for me because:
I would not ride this moots in inclement weather.
I live in the flat lands of the chicagoland area.
The bike would only see roads, no gravel or dirt road adventures.

So my question to you is what would you do if you wanted to build a ti frame at this moment and keep it as a main ride for a decade?!
Build a cr with rim brakes?
Build a disc bike?

Thanks for any advise,
Jon

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ardennes777

by ardennes777

The first thing you need to consider is what parts history you have and are familiar with (ie shimano,sram etc).
The second thing you need to consider (which I see you have) is the terrain the bike would be ridden on (flat lands)!
The third thing is obviously budget!! How much you would be willing to spend!!

I have seen these bikes built up with alot of different combinations over the past few years.

If money was no limit I would recommend the following for what is a lovely frame:

If you are going to go with a rim brake build:
- 2015 Campagnolo Super Record Mechanical

- Deda Superleggara Post/Stem/Bars

- Bora 2 50mm or 35mm (give it some aero!!!). Wheel deepness obviously depends how confident you are in crosswinds, especially riding alot in the "flat lands" If you still think 35mm is too deep, maybe go a set of the new Campagnolo Shamal Mille or Hyperon Ultra 2!

- Obviously seat selection/bar tape/tyre choice would be up to you!!

I really am a Shimano man through and through, but there is something extremely appealing with the contrasting black of the campagnolo and the stirling silver of the moots frame!! This is latest gen campagnolo aswell and I wouldnt see them having a major overhaul for atleast another 2 years! Even then, I would say that any upgrades most likely will be compatible with the grouppo!!

I do see Shimano majorly updating and overhauling its current 9 series dura-ace very shortly hence why I wouldnt go for it!!

If I was going for a Disc Brake Build I would be 50/50 split between Shimano and Sram.
Sram have been pushing the hydro/disc setup for a while and despite initial imperfections they are on a pretty good formula based on what I have heard!
Shimano make exceptional road disc braking system (including di2 specific setup :) :) ) however If you wanted to keep the bike in the "one family" SRAM/ZIPP gear/wheel/component package would be exceptional!

Personally I would still go a mechanical setup for a frame like the MOOTS rather than di2/eps/electronic wireless! I believe it just adds to the bikes classic look and lines!

I genuinely see that in todays age, despite how good Shimano is with disc technology in MTB, SRAM have been pushing
-

Jcgill

by Jcgill

Thank you for the info!

I definatly want mechanical for the build, i currently run all shimano but would strongly consider chorus for this build because i agree with you that moots+campy= Perfection.

Basically i am just worried that if i build up a rim brake frame that i will be unable to update it with new groupsets in the future as they will all come with hydro disc setups.
(Like if you have a rim/canti brake mtb and buy an xt or xtr groupset fo pr it you would not be able to use the brakes and have to piecemeal the brakes into your build.

Or maybe i am worrying for nothing as roadies are big on tradition and they might make rim brakes available for quite a while.

KheSanh

by KheSanh

Rim brakes, will last and easy to get spares. Discs and hydraulics will change and evolve over the next decade so maybe a frame that is disc prepared now may not be correct in 10 years.

My commuter is 12 years old with XT and still works perfectly with a bit of regular maintenance. I commute through winter unless the roads are icy so my bike sees a lot of salt and muck. My town bike is a 1949 Hercules sports tourer with rim brakes that are still pretty effective. They've worn the chrome off the rims but considering she's 66 years old she's still going strong. I can still get parts for both bikes.

ardennes777

by ardennes777

Yup I understand you!!!!

I see rim brakes still being around for a while........ all will be revealed during this years August/September pro peloton test though!!

It will inevitably happen where all roadies are disc braked (everyone has already invested too much to not worry about seeing no $return!!)

You should not worry about trying to keep up with appearances though!! no matter what you get these days a new model/better model will come out 6 months later!!

If I was in your shoes I would build a bike that I would be happy riding!! I wouldnt care what the "trend/modernisation" is!! Its your bike and what matters is you build it how you like it and everytime you go out to ride it you have nothing but a smile on your face!! Remember that fashion always changes but style lasts forever!!!

Svetty

by Svetty

I suspect that your feeling about discs and potential obsolescence as well founded. If you see this frame as lasting you a good few years I'd get the disc option.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

I love disc brakes. I have been racing enduros for the last 5 years, so you can imagine how much i have needed them in my cycling experience. Such is it that I really welcome the idea of the technology being applied to road bikes.

Having said that, I can't think of a future without road rim brakes. For many users and geographical regions they are just perfect.

I rode 110 km today from Nyköping around the Bråviken in Sweden. I was riding on 1996 Campagnolo brakes and not a single second did I need something better (same is true about the drivetrain, also 1996 9 speed Campagnolo).

With other parts of the kit, manufacturers just move on once they have developed something better (9 speed rear shifting is an example). But they will never do it with mechanical shifting and rim brakes.

They can afford to have two lines of product, and although arguably inferior if you only consider top performance when you need the 100% of it, they work fantastic.

They wouldn't make you lose the 1st place in Paris in a TdF and some people just prefer them for many reasons.
Last edited by XCProMD on Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aaric

by aaric

If I were building a ti frame for general riding, I'd go ultegra di2 with discs on a nice high end carbon wheelset. Pretty much a set it and forget it build with the exception of replacing chains and brake pads. But I'd be buying it to ride it anywhere/everywhere including gravel, mountains, and terrible weather.

But, since you say you are riding in flat chicago, won't take it in the rain or gravel, there's not much point to discs. They'll be heavier and less aero. And expensive. If you are sure your circumstances won't change drastically (Say a move to the rockies), you should go with rim brakes.

As for obsolescence, a guy I ride with still runs 9 speed, and has little issue getting parts, so I think you are fine for quite a while. You'll likely find yourself drooling over some new group 5-10 years from now anyways, and there will likely be some new axle and bottom bracket standards that wouldn't be compatible with your disc frame anyways :)

kgt

by kgt

+1 on Chorus mechanical.
I agree with KheSanh. Rim brakes will be available for many many years. Discs will evolve so quickly that your 2015 disc brake system will look retarded after a couple of years.
As XCProMD I was also riding 1996 Record brakes today and I agree that their power and modulation is great. You don't need anything better especially on flat terrain.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jcgill

by Jcgill

Thank you all!

I Really love the simple, elegant, and classic looks of the titanium frames with rim brakes.

i know the rim brake calipers are not really a wearable item. i was more worried about finding shift/brake levers with cable shifting and braking insides if i need to replace a worn one. With the new di2/hydro ones and cable shifting/hydro brake levers there is no way to retorfit to arim caliper.
However i guess that it is true of anything in the world.
Plus i feel like i will appreciate the classic look when discs take over (riding it will be like cruising in a classic 1950s car).

Plus then in a decade when discs are all worked out i can get a new ti bike with discs and have 2 vastly different bikes!