Anyone running carbon inner ring & alloy outer ring?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Was thinking of going mid compact with a Fiber Lyte inner, a 36, and a Stronglight CT2 outer, a 52, but want to know if anyone else is running the mixed combination and the shifting performance of it. A fiberlyte inner ring is twice the price of Stronglight inner, but I'm guessing 3/4s the weight of a Stronglight CT2 36
Last edited by dereksmalls on Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Hmm, so is no one running carbon inner ring and metal outer ring? Surely someone must be?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

Hey, wish I could tell you I was running that setup, but that is one thing I have never tried. Having said that, do you have any reason to believe that the different materials would be a problem? As long as the offset and spacing of the teeth relative to the crank tabs is correct, then it shouldn't matter what the ring is made out of in relation to its companion. To put it another way, if there is a problem with fiberlyte inner rings, then it would likely be unrelated to the material of your chosen outer ring. I know I have seen some threads on carbon rings here so if you haven't already, then try searching to see if there is anyone with that inner ring mounted on your crank model.

Sorry I couldn't be more help!

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

I thought about this combo in the past - when I was running carbon both rings the large ring got chipped over time by the shifting but the small ring remained pretty intact (except when I was running SRAM Red early version where the chain got tossed inboard of the small ring on a regular basis)
Should allow you to get the weight benefit without and any real issues The carbon rings are especially quiet which is nice bonus.
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

stevec1975

by stevec1975

I was going to try this setup on my Scott, however, there is very little difference in the small ring (Sram 34t Alloy = 29g, Fibre Lyte = 22g) so wasn't worth it for me. The big difference is in the big ring (104g for CT2 vs 51g Fibre Lyte). I have both new sealed Fibre Lyte's for sale in 110 BCD 50/34, fyi.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Thanks for th info. Thinking for the cost it may be simpler to go either full Stronglight or Extralite

RyanH

by RyanH

Stronglight CT2's were mediocre in the shifting performance category while being 120g for the pair. If you're going to get rings in that weight category, I'd just go SRAM. And, as Steve mentioned, there's hardly a point going CF inner since you're spending a lot to only save 7g.

If you're running compact you can do the Extralites, but don't overlook the Fibrelytes. The gentleman that I sold my pair to since I wasn't sure how they'd hold up has been putting some serious miles on his and likes them a lot. I'm now looking to replace my chainrings with them as well.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Thanks RyanH, but I'd be looking for mid compact of 36/52 and 34/50 isn't what I'm after

KB

by KB

I've run a Fibre-Lyte inner 34 with a TA Squale 48 outer. Performance was fine with both. Have also run it with Campag and Shimano. I've got quite a few Fibre-Lyte rings, but not in a 36x52 config.

I've also got Extralite Octaramp rings in 34x50 with a combined weight of 97g.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Do you have a 36 tooth inner ring lying around?