Carbon composite frames and/ or Ti frames

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Lately i have been thinkng, if i had the option of buying one custom bike, what would i buy really!?
Let's say we look at Parlee Z-Zero, Baum Corretto, Legend Ti frames or the 11.5.
There are so many brands there is no idea trying to mention them all.
But really, what is the best ride?
Who can honestly tell?
I ride a Paduano Fidia and an Ax Lightness Vial EVO D. Totally differnt, i still am not 100% sure i could say carbon is best, or ti is.
The Fidia is rather heavy but i don't find that it slows me down.
Neither do i find that a super light makes me faster.
They feel different.
Any of you who actually owns ti and carbon bikes?
I would rather look at bikes known for ride feel than the flavour of the month ideal (so please let's skip that).
Anyone who actually can level this in a sane manner, no bashing or hate, just a calm talk.

What would you lust for and why?
What would you really look for in long term?

Thanks!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HillRPete

by HillRPete

wheelsONfire wrote:But really, what is the best ride?
Who can honestly tell?

Nobody can tell what's the best ride for you, everyone's preferences are different. Also you must not underestimate the "placebo" effect. If you try a Colnago, and you have it in the back of your head that it's one of the best riding bikes, then it will feel better as a matter of fact. If you ride an aluminium bike with the midset that they are on the harsher side generally, you will be prone to feel just that. It's how the human brain works, and that's the reason why scientific studies need to be conducted in a double-blind manner.

The only thing you can do is ride as many different bikes as you get hold of, and find out which one you like best.

wheelsONfire wrote:What would you lust for and why?
What would you really look for in long term?

Personally if I was after a bike for racing, I'd probably get a Canyon Aeroad. Otherwise probably a Black Cat, Pegoretti, or Hampsten.

But it turned out the bike I enjoy riding the most, most of the time, is actually no-name NOS Ti frame, bargain off ebay. Just need to get over the stiffness hype.

fa63

by fa63

Why have just one, when you can combine and have them both (carbon and Ti)?

[emoji3]

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

fa63 wrote:Why have just one, when you can combine and have them both (carbon and Ti)?

[emoji3]

Sadly my files are to big, but i think i can say that i have had two now, Gladio with boron tubes and now Fidia with boron tubes (Paduano Racing).
So i think i know the carbon ti frames rather well at this point.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

fa63

by fa63

Kidding aside, personally the best riding bike is the one that fits the best. Most frames these days are really good, regardless of the material. In fact, I recently bought a cheap, used aluminum Giant to use as a dedicated bike for riding on the trainer, but the thing fits me so well that now I actually ride it almost as much as I ride my fancy Seven.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Juanmoretime wrote:I used to change bikes every few years. I have a carbon cross bike, an aluminum fixed gear, a steel mountain bike and a titanium road bike. They all serve me very well for their intended purpose. If I had to pick favorites it would be my 2008 Lynskey R320. It fits me well, quite light enough at 12.5 lbs with my lightest wheel set. It fits like fit me like an extension of my body. Even after over 7 years on the Lynskey it's still excites me it still excites me as much as when I first got it. Same with my wife of 31 years.

^^^

I am more amazed how you managed to feel same about wife!
I wish i could feel like that!
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

fa63 wrote:Why have just one, when you can combine and have them both (carbon and Ti)?

Juanmoretime wrote:I used to change bikes every few years. ... Even after over 7 years on the Lynskey it's still excites me it still excites me as much as when I first got it. Same with my wife of 31 years.

Why have just one, when you can combine and have them both (blonde and brunette)? And change them every few years.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com