Direct-mount brakes for 25mm wide wheels?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

WonderSausage

by WonderSausage

Any recommendations on direct-mount brakes that can handle really wide wheels?

I just got my new HED Ardennes Black wheelset and they don't work with Shimano Dura Ace BR-9010.

Bike's a Madone so I could go with the (previously recalled and now presumably fixed) Bontrager brakes. Anybody know what the Bontrager clearance is? Other brakes I know will fit this bike include the Tektro T750R and the eecycleworks (the latter are $660/set though).

Trkorb

by Trkorb

Are you sure the EE's will fit? The lip on the head tube that extends in front of the fork can cause issues.

I must say the Bontrager brakes are very underwhelming with my Sram levers... nothing compared to the Dura Ace set-up.

If they fit spend the money and get the EE brakes! No regrets! :P :P

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hornedfrog

by hornedfrog

What specifically is wrong with the dura ace ones? Shouldn't be an issue with ardennes, let alone ardennes+, or any rim that measures 25mm.

JensW

by JensW

my girlfriend has the ultra 6810 and a friend of my have 9010 brakes, both has wheels that are 25 mm wide (or my girlfriends wheels are near 26 mm wide), and no problem at al. so sure that there isn't any thing mounted the wrong way?

Tenlegs

by Tenlegs

Shimano make thinner R55C4-1 pads (for 24-28mm wide carbon rims) but none for wide alloy rims, they're just 1mm thinner, if your 25mm rims are a bit tight should be easy to sand a bit off.

WonderSausage

by WonderSausage

These new Ardennes Black with the textured braking surface might be wider than specified, my digital caliper battery is dead or I'd get an accurate measurement. Should have used a ruler before mounting the tires.

HED's site says 25mm but the Blacks are clearly wider than my dry-weather Zipp 202s which have a brake track specification of 24.62mm. Otherwise I would have been able to just mount the wheels in place of the 202s without any fiddling -- 0.38mm is nothing.

At full extension of the BR-9010 calipers the pads are about 1mm from the rim.

WonderSausage

by WonderSausage

Tenlegs wrote:Shimano make thinner R55C4-1 pads (for 24-28mm wide carbon rims) but none for wide alloy rims, they're just 1mm thinner, if your 25mm rims are a bit tight should be easy to sand a bit off.

Hmm, that might explain things... I was using Zipp pads on the 202s so the Shimano pads might just be thicker. Let me investigate...

JensW

by JensW

my friend that has 9010 use 25 mm wide neilpryde carbon rims. with there brakepads, i think it is reynolds blue
my girlfriend that has 6810 use 25,96 mm wide FLO30 aluminiumrims uses the standard shimano barkeeps for aluminium rims, and there is no problem. there isn't anything wrong with the washers between the pads and brake?

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Dura Ace 9010 (surprised it did not work for you)
The rear Tektro the op mentioned works.
EE cycle works Direct mount rear is no issue as well.

Wheels where Bontrager Aeolus D3 and Enve 3.4 with Conti GP4000s II / Bike is 2014 Madone 6
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

spud

by spud

FSA is bringing out a direct mount roller cam brake that will fit the Madone. It will clear a 25mm tire, but don't know if it will clear a 25mm tire on a wide rim. They'll be in stores sometime in June.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

My Easton aero 55 wheels are 28mm wide and they go through my shimano 9010 brakes on my Madone... So I'm frankly stumped as to why it wouldn't fit your 25mm HED rims. I didn't flipped the barrel adjuster up to close the calipers on the rear wheel though as I want more clearance. For the front wheel, I even closed it up a little for faster engagement.

CharlesM

by CharlesM

Yep... something else is wrong here. Either pads or possibly the spacer washers?

Those wheels should be no problem

hornedfrog

by hornedfrog

Exactly. To the OP: You understand that you might have to readjust the calipers by undoing the pinch bolt and releasing some cable in order to increase the clearance, right?

Ravnsnaes

by Ravnsnaes

I had the exact same problem on my brand new Canyon Aeroad with Reynolds wheels. Turns out the brakepad holders hit the inside of the fork legs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

F45

by F45

I had that same problem with the screws that held the pads in hitting the inside of the fork. Solution was to take them out then drill and drive a roll pin through vertically. Good thing I have a press for when the pads need to be changed. :P