Enve 2.0 Tapered Fork + CAAD10?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Wizzo

by Wizzo

Hi guys. Recently I was given a brand new CAAD10 frameset. I like the fork that it comes with but I am going to enve-out the entire bike. However I was looking at the fork rake on the stock fork which is 45mm and the only tapered Enve fork which is 43cm. Has anyone tried this combo Enve Tapered fork on a CAAD10? What kind of handling characteristics changes can I see if I went with an Enve fork?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

slightly more resistant to direction change with the 43mm rake fork. best used with some of the larger sizes, as they tend to have somewhat steeper head tube angles.
in the end, it's a bit subtle.

Wizzo

by Wizzo

I have a 52cm frame. So it would be more difficult to corner and descend?

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

"more difficult"? no.
feel different? yes. will you hate the new feeling? no, but hate is such a strong word. you may prefer the 45mm rake. i would say quick changes of direction are where you will notice the feeling change the most. higher speeds will make the feeling change more pronounced.

ergott

by ergott

Is the axle-crown measurement the same for both?

Wizzo

by Wizzo

I believe the C-Dale fork is 372mm vs. Enve's 367

CamW

by CamW

I thought the taper was wrong?

CamW

by CamW

Ugh, just checked. They make the appropriate taper now. Please ignore me :oops:

adriano

by adriano

if the new fork is going to be shorter, having less rake would be preferred.

also, the half degree head tube angle change between a 56 and a 58 has a bigger effect than that 2mm of rake.

JN2Wheels

by JN2Wheels

I did the same thing with a 52cm CAAD9, but with a 40cm offset. The shorter, less-raked fork seriously changed the handling. More stable, required more umf to muscle through turns, but felt great. Until I had a few really nasty speed wobble issues. Truly scary shimmies. The CAAD 10 may be a different beast because of a stiffer front triangle and fork, but I went back to the stock setup, and feel much more nimble and secure. ymmv.

KWalker

by KWalker

Why change it? Weight isn't that much lower.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

20austin14

by 20austin14

Reviving this as I am in the same boat kind of. My 2015 CAAD 10's fork is damaged and C'dale is recommending as well as my LBS the enve 2.0 as a replacement. According to C'dale the stock fork axle to crown is 380mm with a 45mm rake and the enve is 367 with a 43mm rake. Was wondering what you guys ended up doing and if the enve fork worked out for you or not.

eliflap-scalpel

by eliflap-scalpel

i will try a Whisky parts fork on my caad 10 disc frame
http://eliflap.it/

Rick

by Rick

I don't really understand the theory fully, but I always prefer a 43mm rake fork.
My current bike came with a 45mm fork, and I would say it felt like it was more difficult to "initiate" a turn, but then it would "cut" very quickly into the turn once initiated.
Previously I had always used 43mm, so I substituted a 43 on this bike and it restored the handling I like: it feels very "neutral". It is not quite as stable when going straight, but doesn't want to "cut" into the turn more strongly after it is initiated. hard to describe, but the only thing I can say is that it feels more "natural".

Even the 45mm was acceptable though, and I would have probably not given it a second thought if I hadn't already ridden on 43mm forks for many years. I could just immediately teel that something was "different", but it also had a different head tube angle, s I wasn't sure it was fork rake that was doing it.
After switching forks though, I hardly notice anything different about the head tube angle at all (72° vs 74°) So it must have been the forks.

I like a nice stable ride. Cycling is hard enough without having to worry about twitchy handling. I have never lost a race because my bike didn't have "quick enough handling". Stability and "neutral, natural handling" makes everything much more relaxed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Krull

by Krull

20austin14 wrote:Reviving this as I am in the same boat kind of. My 2015 CAAD 10's fork is damaged and C'dale is recommending as well as my LBS the enve 2.0 as a replacement. According to C'dale the stock fork axle to crown is 380mm with a 45mm rake and the enve is 367 with a 43mm rake. Was wondering what you guys ended up doing and if the enve fork worked out for you or not.

very strange of cannondale, recommending a fork which is so different to the stock-fork (and which is changing the geometry so deeply). why dont they recommend their own fork? are they shareholder of "enve"? :noidea: