Spacer siezed to the fork

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

lllauderman

by lllauderman

I have a carbon steer tube on my fork, but I have an aluminum spacer stuck above the stem. Are there any suggestions on how to remove the spacer without damaging the fork?

Svetty

by Svetty

Stuck? Do you mean adherent to the steerer?
First thing I'd try would be to loosen the stem bolts and then twist the stem on the steerer. This should break the seal between the spacer (sitting directly on top of the stem) and the steerer.
If this didn't work I'd loosely refit the bung in the steerer (to provide resistance against crushing), then grip the spacer with a pipe-wrench and gently rotate it.
If this didn't work I'd gently heat the spacer with a hair-dryer and rpt the above.
Then I'd invert the whole bike, ensure it is supported properly, then loosen the stem bolts and gently tap the underside of the stem with a hammer using a wooden drift being careful to avoid a shearing load on the steerer.
If there is an adequate 'shelf' or bevel beneath the spacer you might be able to directly tap the underside of the spacer using a screwdriver as a drift?

Should shift it with persistent application of these methods.

If it really won't budge you could completely slacken off the stem bolts, remove the top cap, then, with the frame supported, tap down on the end of the steerer, again using a wooden drift, making sure you strike directly along the axis of the steerer.....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

I'd try penetrating oil or tapping the spacer with a plastic faced hammer. Do this long enough to get mad and you will break the bond.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Using a dremel, you could cut the spacer. Just cut the aluminum down but do not go through the aluminum. Do this 180 degrees from each other and it should pretty much split in two with a little effort.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Having the best stuff out there, removes the blame that it is the equipment. Knowing that, I always know it is my sorry ass that I suck. No more excuses.

eric

by eric

You could grab the spacer with a set of water pump pliers and twist it on the steerer. That should break it loose but will mar it.

boots2000

by boots2000

Put bike in stand.
Remove top cap and loosen stem bolts.
Rotate bike so it is upside down.
Tap or hit underside of stem with a rubber mallet.
If this dose not work you may need to try to remove the steerer tube plug. It may be pushing to hard on the wall of the steerer. This can happen with a really light carbon steerer.
I know that an Enve 1.0 fork is larger in diameter with expander installed vs. not installed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com