Stelbel - steel is real

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Citizenfox

by Citizenfox

Doesn't doscuss weights, but some beautiful details here - the chain stay is custom made Columbus for stiffness. This is the full race version, others in the article. Between this, the Breadwinner Lolo, Speedvagen...I got steel on the brain

http://www.bikerumor.com/2015/04/22/ber ... more-99309

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

Damn that is pretty. That isn't really expensive with the Euro being so weak right now too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

steventran

by steventran

Funny, I was just looking into Stelbel. According to Wikipedia, the original workshop closed in 1990 and Stelio Belletti has since retired. I wonder how much, if at all, he's involved with the revival. The website says Stelbel is a trademark registered by Cicli Corsa S.n.c., which is a bike shop. Anybody know more? I'm curious about how they worked with Columbus on customizing the tubes.

steventran

by steventran

I should add that the Rodano is pretty, too.

gravity

by gravity

Cicli Corsa is the entity responsible in reviving Stelbel and Pelizzoli, if i have not been misinformed.

The way I see it, Cicli Corsa is like a Private Equity firm: they buy companies, revive it, market it, make the profit. Without Cicli Corsa, there is no Stelbel we see now.
Last edited by gravity on Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marin

by Marin

Anyone found frame weights?

rossjm11

by rossjm11

That is a pretty cheap frame. I feel like stainless bikes are coming back into fashion a good bit.
BMC SLR01 2015
Redline Conquest Team

phlip

by phlip

One thousand six hundred euros are considered cheap now?

I always wondered why custom steel frames are so expensive in the USA, or rather, why people pay that much for them. 2000+ USD for putting together a bunch of steel tubes, regardless how nicely they are welded and painted, is that not a bit much?

Sadly the new or reborn builders here in Europe now seem to follow suit and inflate their prices too. A less known builder from the Czech republic asks for 800 EUR for a completey custom frame made from Columbus Spirit. While e.g. Festka seems to have rung in another round of price hikes, now asking 2200 EUR for their model using Columbus Spirit tubes.

I love the looks of modern, oversized, steel frames, as well as lugged ones. And I much prefer them over bicycles made from other materials. I wish they were a bit more affordable.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

While I enjoy a good price as much as the next guy, 800 sounds really low. I mean how many can you make a month, then take away the cost for painting, materials, and running the workshop, then again take away income tax and insurance. Still hope they can make a nice living out of it.

The bke is really nice though. One is only left wondering what they didn't like about the Max chainstays, so they went for custom ones.

Marin

by Marin

phlip wrote:A less known builder from the Czech republic asks for 800 EUR for a completey custom frame made from Columbus Spirit.

Got a name/link for that guy?

kgt

by kgt

I think budget-wise the best think to do is find a superb NOS frame with top tubeset for 500-600 euros.

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

Marin wrote:
phlip wrote:A less known builder from the Czech republic asks for 800 EUR for a completey custom frame made from Columbus Spirit.

Got a name/link for that guy?

Search for Rychtarski or sth like that

But attention to detail is not as refined as these Stelbel

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

Attention to details look spectacular. I completely dig the logo.

The white one with level top tube is a beauty. Makes me want a white seatpost for my white frame.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

kgt wrote:I think budget-wise the best think to do is find a superb NOS frame with top tubeset for 500-600 euros.

I think budget wise the best thing to do is find a Ritchey Road Logic with fork and headset for 799 euros. At least that's what I just did :D :D :D This is also why I asked about the weight - my 56 Logic weighs 1722g (with 4 steel bottle cage bolts), and is plenty stiff.