2012 Fuji SST 3.0 or 2015 Giant TCR SLR 2?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ravenmore

by Ravenmore

Hi all,

I’m getting back into riding and hopefully racing (mainly crits) and am about to buy a bike. I only have about $1500 US to spend at the moment. After searching around I’ve found two options. I found a NOS 2012 Fuji SST 3.0 with 10spd 105. It’s matte black with the deep metallic blue graphics. I’ve always really loved the look of these frames and I really love the graphics on this particular one.

For a little less – not a whole lot less actually, I have a friend who can get me out the door on a new Giant TCR SLR 2 for just under my budget. It’s an aluminum frame, although weight wise I think it’s about the same as the carbon Fuji. Honestly I’m not as into the looks and graphics on this one but I hear it is a wonderful frame. It has the new 105 11 spd components so it would be a step up in that department.

After I get the bike I’ll be making a weight weenie project out of it to some extent over time, although I’m not going to go as all out as some of you guys. 

Let me know what thoughts you guys have.

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ravenmore

by Ravenmore

Sorry - probably should have posted this in the road forum. Mods my apologies and feel free to move this if necessary.

Ravenmore

by Ravenmore

Fuji SST

Ravenmore

by Ravenmore

Giant TCR

Trainor6513

by Trainor6513

Just go for what you like the look of. If you look at your bike and dont like it your not going to get up and go out on it

Ravenmore

by Ravenmore

I'm on the fence about this which is why I asked for opinions. Leaning a bit towards the Fuji but it is 3 years old before I even get on it.

fa63

by fa63

I would go with the Giant; like you said the Fuji is already an old bike. Plus the aluminium Giants seem to get pretty good reviews.

Trainor6513

by Trainor6513

I had a giant tcr advanced probably 2012 was a nice bike and you cant beat a new bike as i just found out:-D

kgt

by kgt

Fuji looks better (although neither looks great...).

Ravenmore

by Ravenmore

The Fuji is actually very sharp in person - that stock pic doesn't do it justice. I haven't seen the Giant in person - the shop would have to order it.

Svetty

by Svetty

3 year old 10sp 105 is a bit of a disincentive to go Fuji IMO. You also don't mention wheels - what are they rocking and how much rim/bearing wear is there? Unless you're going to be swapping these out fairly soon I'd lean towards the Giant.

Benno

by Benno

Giants always look way better in person but dang those TCR's are a rough ride, especially in aluminum. Perfect entry level race bike but it will beat you up.

Ravenmore

by Ravenmore

I used to race an aluminum s-works E5 so I'm used to it (actually had that thing pretty light too come to think of it). The Fuji is pretty darn stiff too.

I also really like that the Fuji has internal cable routing.

432r

by 432r

This is a no brainer. Fuji. the SST is unreal, i own one and own a Ridley Noah, and to be honest i prefer the SST. I used to own an aluminium TCR. I also have a Trek T1 track bike (aluminium with carbon fork). Forget aluminium. It is a relic of the past (Even if you can still buy them).

Plus the SST is the ultimate crit machine (its my crit bike). I hit 65,66, and 68.5 km/hr on my SST (at the end of my regular one hour bunch ride) in the sprint on c50's (dura ace wheels). On my noah (zipp 404 FC) same ride i have only been able to hit 64/65. Not much in it, but just saying, its a fast bike.

Remember the SST frame was a PRO tour bike in around 2011 albeit with slightly lighter carbon (100g lighter). Do a search for Ivan Dominguez (rock racing) and you wont bother looking at the giant again.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ravenmore

by Ravenmore

I did pull the trigger on the SST - well kind of. I put it on layaway. :) I wanted to hold it while I wait for my tax return to come in. Snagged a pic albeit with all the store crap and test ride pedals on it. Note the saddle to bar drop even with all the spacers. I normally like to slam the stem but we'll have to see on this one. :D