Looking for component recommendations for my C60 disc build

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

allenhuish

by allenhuish

Hi all,

I have ordered my C60 disc and am patiently waiting for the order to arrive. I am now looking for input on some of the component choices.

Here's some background on me
- I weigh 166 pounds/75kg
- I won't be racing the bike (discs!)
- I'm not much of a sprinter (no high power)
- I'll do about 1500 miles per year (in dry weather)

Criteria
- I've already put Di2 on my other bike and am moving my 'fleet' over to Di2
- Looking for lightest build that I can put together that retains some kind of value for money
- Looking bling is quite important to me

What I've got so far
Wheels
2015 DT Swiss RC38 DB (Check the thread in the wheels forum)
Tyres: Hutchinson Atom Galactick Tubeless
Brakes
Rotors 140mm Shimano icetech SM RT99
Lockrings ?
Calipers BR RS785 (straight through hose version)
Cabling with shifters

Gears/shifters
Dura Ace Di2 11 speed front
Dura Ace Di2 11 speed rear
Br785 Shifters Di2 Hydraulic Shifters/brake levers
Dura Ace 12-28 cassette
SRAM Red Carbon Chainset 170mm Is 38/52 possible? Else 39.53

Other transmission
Chain KMC X11-SL Gold 11 Speed Chain
Pedals Dura Ace carbon spd sl
Bottom Bracket To fit colnago c60 disc (?)
Di2 cables/battery/connectors
Down tube wire 750mm
Front der wire 350mm
rear der wire 550mm
battery wire 350mm
sti > junction x 2 350mm
junction A
junction B
Battery

Steering
Handlebars MFCK Carbon 420mm 3K Shiny
Handlebar end plugs Gold alloy
Bar tape bike ribbon spunga/lizard skins/deda
Stem (100mm or 90mm) Extralite HyperStem O6 31.8mm ±6° or ?
Headset spacers Gold alloy
Headset n/a
Topcap Gold alloy
Saddle ? Fizik Antares 00 or MFCK?

Bottle Cages Colnago black carbon or ?

Other minor items
Gold jockey wheels token or kcnc?
Quick releases?

My questions would be
1. Any issues with the SRAM chainset with the di2?
2. Any obvious add-ons that I haven't thought of or am missing?
3. Any alternatives to the items I've got on the list?

My calculations on this lot gets me to about a 16pound build.

Many thanks,
Allen

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CBJ

by CBJ

I would build some custom wheels and try to drop some weight that way plus I hate the look of the stickers on the DT wheelset?

allenhuish

by allenhuish

Check out the wheels thread I posted in the everything wheels section. Custom wheels would be hard pushed to beat 1450g if I want 38mm deep tubeless clinchers (or would be insanely priced).

I do tend to agree on the stickers, but I've found a couple of places that do custom stickers so I can replace them. I even found different DT Hub stickers in different colour schemes which I'm quite excited about(!)

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I'm digging the build, but I think that SRAM chainset is going to throw off the look of the bike. I understand the Red crank weighs less than the DA equivalent, but if you're also concerned with appearance, it's going to stand out. Personally, I'd sacrifice the weight for the appearance in this case, and run the DA crank (and then you can get the 52/38 chain rings).

allenhuish

by allenhuish

Interesting point about the sram chainset. I'm not that keen on the looks, but honestly the campag cranks are the best looking imho. The DA ones are pretty bad. I was thinking of doing something with the stickers/colour scheme on the sram ones though.

mimason

by mimason

1500 miles a year? Are you going to look at your bike more than you ride it?

You have good stuff already. slap it on and ride it. If you don't like it then change it.

Bottle cages? I like Arundle Mandibles.

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

I have a 2015 S-works disc. The stock Roval wheels weight about 1450 grams. The Shimano rotors weight about 105 grams each without lock rings. I am switching to the new extradite disc hubs, pilar cX-rays spokes 24/24 and enve disc wheels. Jason at Fairwheel promises me about 1260 grams for the wheels. These six bolt hubs allow me to switch to six bolt Rotors which are much lighter (140 mm about 60 grams each). I also switched out my RS785 calipers( boat anchors) for the much lighter magnesium XTR calipers. If your choose this swap you will have to get new hoses as the XTR magnesium calipers are banjo fitting whereas the RS785 anchors are straight hose inserts.
Last edited by mnmasotto on Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

What size frame and color? I am looking for the same thing in 48 sloping.

rossjm11

by rossjm11

Probably not issues, but a DA crankset would look a lot nicer.
For Skewers, I have KCNC Ti ones that are pretty nice. You might want a set, and I am sure you can find a pair that match your build.
Bottle Cages... Anything light that matches your bike.
BMC SLR01 2015
Redline Conquest Team

allenhuish

by allenhuish

mnmasotto wrote:I have a 2015 S-works disc. The stock Roval wheels weight about 1450 grams. The Shimano rotors weight about 105 grams each without lock rings. I am switching to tje new extradite disc hubs, pilar cX-rays spokes 24/24 and enve disc wheels. Jason at Fairwheel promises me about 1260 grams for the wheels. These six bolt hubs allow me to switch to six bolt Rotors which are much lighter (140 mm about 60 grams each). I also switched out my RS785 calipers( boat anchors) for the much lighter magnesium XTR calipers. If your choose this swap you will have to get new hoses as the XTR magnesium calipers are banjo fitting whereas the RS785 anchors are straight hose inserts.

A couple of nice suggestions there.

Rotor wise I'm looking at http://absoluteblack.cc/raven-sl-95g.html but then if you are right and the shimano ones are 105g then I'm not sure it's worth paying a lot to save 10g.

I'll have a look at the roval wheels. I have a funny feeling I read something about compatibility with those.

On the calipers, I did some googling about using XTR calipers, but couldn't really find any definitive weights. I wouldn't mind using the banjo fittings. I would have to guess that when shimano eventually come out with a dura ace disc brakeset then they will use a modified xtr themselves.

Do you know what the exact weight difference is?

Thanks

allenhuish

by allenhuish

mimason wrote:1500 miles a year? Are you going to look at your bike more than you ride it?

You have good stuff already. slap it on and ride it. If you don't like it then change it.

Bottle cages? I like Arundle Mandibles.

Well I only take my good bike out in the sunshine - and between other commitments and rain that gives limited time!

allenhuish

by allenhuish

rossjm11 wrote:Probably not issues, but a DA crankset would look a lot nicer.
For Skewers, I have KCNC Ti ones that are pretty nice. You might want a set, and I am sure you can find a pair that match your build.
Bottle Cages... Anything light that matches your bike.

Okay, I'm going to have another look at the DA crankset. Regarding skewers I see that fairwheel bikes have just put up their view of what's on the market so am going to read that later.

Thanks.

hornedfrog

by hornedfrog

Get an experienced wheel builder to lace up a set of Pacenti SL25s on Chris King R45 disc hubs. You will not be disappointed. A build like this deserves a nice set of hand built wheels. Plus the Pacentis are disc specific rims and tubeless compatible.

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

I was not recommending the Roval wheels. I was simply using them as an example. I really believe you need to buy a pair of medium-deep carbon wheels for this build. Low profile metal rims do not look appropriate on Colnago's....especially disc brake models. The weight savings on the XTR calipers is about 50 grams per wheel.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

allenhuish

by allenhuish

mnmasotto wrote:What size frame and color? I am looking for the same thing in 48 sloping.

My size is 50S. I've gone for OFCG. I am told that the black paint has a slight gold sparkle to it when viewed close up.