Looking for component recommendations for my C60 disc build

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

hornedfrog

by hornedfrog

mnmasotto wrote:I was not recommending the Roval wheels. I was simply using them as an example. I really believe you need to buy a pair of medium-deep carbon wheels for this build. Low profile metal rims do not look appropriate on Colnago's....especially disc brake models. The weight savings on the XTR calipers is about 50 grams per wheel.

wut? Colnago C series (..40,50,59,60) are some of the most classic frames out there. Low profile metal/carbon rims are classic hands down. Ambrosios? Your kidding me...

Example
eurperg wrote:With Hyperons, looks strange but probably feels better... :?

But seriously, since the OP is going tubeless, I don't see how you don't pick the best tubeless road disc rim on the market, not some carbon hoop that was made for your standard tire and tube interface, and built to withstand braking forces.....which it wont be doing on a disc bike... Plus the Pacentis arnt really that low profile.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

hornedfrog wrote:
mnmasotto wrote:I was not recommending the Roval wheels. I was simply using them as an example. I really believe you need to buy a pair of medium-deep carbon wheels for this build. Low profile metal rims do not look appropriate on Colnago's....especially disc brake models. The weight savings on the XTR calipers is about 50 grams per wheel.

wut? Colnago C series (..40,50,59,60) are some of the most classic frames out there. Low profile metal/carbon rims are classic hands down. Ambrosios? Your kidding me...

Example
eurperg wrote:With Hyperons, looks strange but probably feels better... :?

But seriously, since the OP is going tubeless, I don't see how you don't pick the best tubeless road disc rim on the market, not some carbon hoop that was made for your standard tire and tube interface, and built to withstand braking forces.....which it wont be doing on a disc bike... Plus the Pacentis arnt really that low profile.

But when you put a pair of disc brakes on those wheels you loose the classic appearance.

allenhuish

by allenhuish

Hi all,

I have decided to switch cranks and go for the THM Claviculas because:
- It is one of the few places to drop weight
- The dura ace and sram options look ugly in comparison
- You only spend the money once

I also added a few other final pieces
- Tune Wassertreiger 2.0 bottle cages
- Praxis works chainrings
- Tune DC14 skewers

My calcs say that this all comes out to about 15 pounds.

Build report to come in about 6 weeks time.

Miller

by Miller

> Tyres: Hutchinson Atom Galactick Tubeless

Ride beautifully but my impression is that they are fragile (they are about the lightest tubeless out there). I have been trying out this exact tyre on my TT bike lately. First ride with them I did a decent time on a local course but on the ride home the rear flatted comprehensively. Tubeless are vulnerable to sidewall damage and my tyre took a huge rip in the side.

Maybe think of Schwalbe One instead? Will add ~100g to the build.

allenhuish

by allenhuish

Miller wrote:> Tyres: Hutchinson Atom Galactick Tubeless

Ride beautifully but my impression is that they are fragile (they are about the lightest tubeless out there). I have been trying out this exact tyre on my TT bike lately. First ride with them I did a decent time on a local course but on the ride home the rear flatted comprehensively. Tubeless are vulnerable to sidewall damage and my tyre took a huge rip in the side.

Thanks for the info. Funnily enough my hutchinson sectors seem a bit more fragile than they should. Let's see how they work out, but think you might be right.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

allenhuish wrote:- I'll do about 1500 miles per year (in dry weather)

Why discs then? Unless the majority of your riding is going to be in downpours, which you say it's not. Perhaps there's time to change your order.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

pushstart

by pushstart

allenhuish wrote:

Thanks for the info. Funnily enough my hutchinson sectors seem a bit more fragile than they should. Let's see how they work out, but think you might be right.

Hutchinson Fusion 3 tubeless were also a lot more fragile for me than GP4000S tires, I was surprised to discover. I imagine tubeless is lighter, but I much prefer the ride and durability of latex tubes in GP4000S -- but only compared to Fusions. I have herd the Atoms are more fragile than Fusions (makes sense) so I definitely wouldn't touch them.

I would buy the 40mm Novatec disc-specific carbon rims (also tubeless ready) and build a light wheelset with DT Swiss 240S straight-pull hubs. Or DT Swiss 350, if budget is a concern (that will probably be my next road wheelset!).

allenhuish

by allenhuish

Calnago wrote:
allenhuish wrote:- I'll do about 1500 miles per year (in dry weather)

Why discs then? Unless the majority of your riding is going to be in downpours, which you say it's not. Perhaps there's time to change your order.

I think that all road bikes will have discs in the next few years so it is architecture or future proofing for my bikes. Better to have all my bikes on one system for reuse of parts etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

allenhuish

by allenhuish

pushstart wrote:
allenhuish wrote:

Hutchinson Fusion 3 tubeless were also a lot more fragile for me than GP4000S tires, I was surprised to discover. I imagine tubeless is lighter, but I much prefer the ride and durability of latex tubes in GP4000S -- but only compared to Fusions. I have herd the Atoms are more fragile than Fusions (makes sense) so I definitely wouldn't touch them.

Slightly worried now, but will give them a go. I found my sectors to roll and feel much better than my gp4000s but never tried latex tubes with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrgray

by mrgray

great call on the thm crank. even though ernesto seems to disagree i think dura-ace on colnago doesn't look so sweet. campy or thm and you're right, great place to save weight.

great choice on colour. did you pick it in person or catalogue/internet? so many great colourways its hard to choose but i'm sure it will build up beautiful.

i think ditch the discs and get rim breaks. that way you can get thm fibulas and bora's or lightweights. you will then be in cycling nirvana!

seriously though if the weight matters isn't a rim brake setup always going to do better (for now at least).

whatever you do don't go schwalbe tyres. dead and unfeeling. no way to treat your good bike.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

I will eat my hat if this bike weights in at 15 lbs. My tarmac, size 52, with many lightweight parts weights is in the 15 lb range. The Colnago is a much heavier frameset to start.
Last edited by mnmasotto on Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

mrgray

by mrgray

yes 15 pounds is challenging with a c60 frame. is it heavier for a disc version to start with?

my experience is to achieve it (my c60 weight is 6.72 kg) took lightweight wheels and Super Record 2015 as well as trimming close to a third of the seat post and removing a bottle cage. also thats with no mounts of any kind.

so whilst i understand there are lighter groupsets the wheel weight of ~ 1.3 kg or worse kicks things off to a difficult start for that goal I would have thought.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

allenhuish

by allenhuish

mnmasotto wrote:I will eat my hat if this bike weights in at 15 lbs. My tarmac, size 52, with many lightweight parts weights is in the 15 lb range. The Colnago is a much heavier frameset to start.

mrgray wrote:yes 15 pounds is challenging with a c60 frame. is it heavier for a disc version to start with?

my experience is to achieve it (my c60 weight is 6.72 kg) took lightweight wheels and Super Record 2015 as well as trimming close to a third of the seat post and removing a bottle cage. also thats with no mounts of any kind.

so whilst i understand there are lighter groupsets the wheel weight of ~ 1.3 kg or worse kicks things off to a difficult start for that goal I would have thought.

You were right. 16.3lbs in the end.

Pics are up in the gallery if you are interested.