Top end groupsets for non-racers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

5DII

by 5DII

How many of you guys have top end groupsets (ie DA, Red, SR/Record, etc) but do not race? My friend told me it was a waste of money, but some of us just like refined/lightweight components to ride on just for the joy of it. I don't feel the need to justify it to him, but how would you respond to people like him?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

beanbiken

by beanbiken

None of us race but I have DA 9070 on my main bike and DA 7900 on my other bike. Eldest son has Sram red and youngest son has DA 9000. Waste of money :?: Well i guess that is open to interpretation...... Do I regret the purchases, not a chance

Steve M.
BB

Coffee & carbon

stormur

by stormur

You don't have to respond. It's your money, not his :)

If you can afford it , and want it - get it.

Is it wasting money ? Yes :mrgreen:

For double price of 1st tier components in comparison to 2nd, you get about 100-200g less weight ( irrelevant , you (me, most of us ) have more fat to loose ) and basically nothing in performance. In some cases more durability, but 99% of people do not have equipment so long to experience it ;)

If you're buying "top end" to impress anyone - something is wrong with you, if they criticize you because you bought it "just for yourself" - something is wrong with them.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

beanbiken

by beanbiken

stormur wrote:
If you're buying "top end" to impress anyone - something is wrong with you, if they criticize you because you bought it "just for yourself" - something is wrong with them.

Yep I reckon this comment about sums it up 8)
BB

Coffee & carbon

chayanat

by chayanat

105 is more than enough for recreational cycling but It's your money, do whatever you wish. :D

tinozee

by tinozee

I honestly can't stand when people say shit like that about "you don't need this or that". It's some sort of insecurity on their part.

ico

by ico

beanbiken wrote:
stormur wrote:

Yep I reckon this comment about sums it up 8)

Totally agree and btw. wasn't this board always about admire of top end stuff?

davidalone

by davidalone

The 'real' racers, or at least most of those I respect who aren't sponsored and are spending their own money to race, hardly ever race top end components because of the rather high risk of crash damage . most racers I know race with ultegra or force, or sometimes even 105/rival.

grover

by grover

Agree with davidalone. Not racing is more of a reason to use top end. Because it'll stay nicer for longer and is less likely to get damaged.

Personally Dura Ace does work more smoothly than Ultegra, Red does work more smoothly than Force. It may be a 'placebo' effect, but it's an effect.

I don't have data, but in my mind I see more problems with Ultegra and Force than Dura Ace and Red. That could reflect on owners not caring so much and neglecting maintenance...but the opposite could also be that if you buy top level you're more likely to maintain it.

When I raced Force was great. It's not going to cost you a result over Red and it was cheap to replace when something got destroyed or wore out. Now I don't race, Red is nicer so I use it.

I still race cross, I use Force. It gets hammered, it works well enough, it's cheap to replace. If I stopped and just rode the cross bike casually in good weather without the crash risk it'd get Red.

ALS

by ALS

i don't race now and I ride campag record (plus high end frame and wheels) it adds to the enjoyment i get from my 'hobby'. When I raced and I was buying my own bikes I ran mid level group. If I was to restart racing tody Id be on caad 10 & ultegra/force - works well, cheap to replace.

kgt

by kgt

I agree this argument has no point. Racing or not has nothing to do with the bikes and components we use. It' s not only what we 'need' that is important. What we want is equally if not more important. We were supposed to have solved these issues since the 60s...

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

Can we cyclists, either racer (from 1st to 5 cat) or sunday casual rider, ride what we want, what we like, what we can afford and forget about the critics?
IMHO change your riding pals if they are such tight ass.

bigfatty

by bigfatty

5DII wrote: My friend told me it was a waste of money

going to work to earn money you are not going to spend is a waste of time =)

Philbar72

by Philbar72

tinozee wrote:I honestly can't stand when people say shit like that about "you don't need this or that". It's some sort of insecurity on their part.

that makes no sense. if i was building a weight weenie vanity build, i'd go lighweight everything. But for something for day to day usage 105 5800 is all anyone is ever going to need. you genuinely don't need anything more!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

steventran

by steventran

I don't race. In fact, I'm positively slow. The top end groups add enjoyment to my cycling. My bikes are dream bikes (for me). They're a lot cheaper than other dream things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk