Campagnolo 2015 crankset backward compatablity tech

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spinware

by spinware

Hi all,
I have a 2013 dogma with record running a 53/39 crankset with a 12/27 cassette. I spoke with campy and they said that their 2015 crankset is the only drivetrain part thats backwards compatible with prior years. I purchased a 2015 52/36 crankset along with a 12/29 cassette. I have it all setup and running fine, however the only issue I have is chain run on the front der when I am in the big big. I can not seam to adjust the trim tab ..its either too much or too little.
Is this due to the limitation of the large cassette or crankset? any thoughts?

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

spinware, this makes no sense to me. The Campy Cranksets for 10-speed and 11-speed are pretty much interchangeable in my experience. The chainlines have not changed as far as I know, so how can only the 2015 crankset be compatible with pre-2015 11-speed groups? Are you referring to chainrings?

As for the FD, well that is probably just a set up issue. Suggest you undo the FD cable and set the FD limits again, then reinstall the cable. Also check the alignment of the big chainring - is it a slight bend that is causing the rub? The cassette should only be limited by the RD, which can take a 29 cog. Other than that, check your chain length as well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

My understanding is that there have been very small spacing changes but nothing that imposes compatibility problems.

I think your set up is likely at fault. Undo cable tension, reset position and limits checking alignment with chain line, and then find new cable tension.

spinware

by spinware

Stolichnaya,
To my understanding campy's new 2015 front and rear Der. and shifters will not work with prior years.
Chain and cassette has not changed.

tommasini

by tommasini

Just swapped out three bikes having 2013/14 11 speed cranks with three of the 2015 cranks. Didn't need to change a thing with the front derailleur - making it a 15 minute task start to finish on each one.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@tommasini: nice, do you notice any shifting improvements? The prior stuff was pretty good. But I really like that with the new cranks you can use any range of rings and don't have to have a separate crank for compact vs standard.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

dj97223

by dj97223

The Campag 2015 mechanical instruction video makes clear that the only cross-compatibility issues are between the shifters and the derailleurs.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Ah, spinware, I misread your original post. I understood that your concern was with the crankset's compatibility. Gotcha now. See post directly above. :thumbup:

wingguy

by wingguy

spinware wrote: the only issue I have is chain run on the front der when I am in the big big. I can not seam to adjust the trim tab ..its either too much or too little.

As stated above, surely this is a simple cable tension, limits issue? If the trim positions are either side of where you want them, adjust cable tension till one of the trim positions is exactly where you want it.

Unless there's something more you were meaning?

spinware

by spinware

Thanks for all the feedback, I will have my LBS address all the suggestions.. :thumbup:

tommasini

by tommasini

Calnago wrote:@tommasini: nice, do you notice any shifting improvements? The prior stuff was pretty good. But I really like that with the new cranks you can use any range of rings and don't have to have a separate crank for compact vs standard.

In the limited use I've had so far, I can't say I notice anything special to call out with the 2015 version - but I must say that I have always been very happy with the snappy shifting of my older rings. Maybe it's my shift/power technique - but I've never had any form of grind-grind issue before so nothing to look back at as needing improvement in my book. That said, what improvements that were made - I'm sure were for a good reason.

After a few more miles this spring I will share some further feedback.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com