Hollowgram srm in 70mm Italian

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TOMMYBB

by TOMMYBB

Hi guys
I've recently been trying to get a cannondal hollowgram srm into a 70mm Italian threade bb. So the obvious problem is that the crankset is a bb30, but I have a plan and was wondering if anyone can tell me why this wouldn't work..
1.get the zipp vumaquad bb shells in Italian thread and all will be good!

But obviously I'm guessing it's not that easy, so has anyone had any past experience on this to give me the magical solution I'm looking for?
Thanks in advance

ms6073

by ms6073

Sure you can do it but sorry to say, it is not going to work very well - planend the same thing with a TT bike with 68mm wide BSA shell. The Zipp Vumaquad threaded bearing cups will require a longer spindle to provide proper spacing but because of the offset of the spindle, a true BB30 crank like the Hollowgram SiSL will only work with BB30/PF30 framesets because the hollowgram spider has next to no offset, an adapter or longer spindle is only going to push your chainrings further out from the bottom bracket shell. Take the image below and consider how well would that setup work with chainrings 5-10-15mm further out from the frame and the gearing set for large chainring and largest rear cog?

- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TOMMYBB

by TOMMYBB

Ok thanks for your help mate.
I've currently got a rotor 3d+crankset on the bike, so I don't suppose I'd be able to use it's spindle given its a 30mm?
Or is there some sort of spindle I can get to make this work the, as I see where you're coming from
Thanks again

Ltoddokc

by Ltoddokc

I have a '14 Cannondale Synapse with BB30A 73mm bottom bracket and hollowgram crank. From what I understand all of the new hollowgram axles are made to work on the 73mm BB30A bottom bracket and the 68mm BB30. If you use a new cannondale spindle wouldn't you just need to use a few spacers to get the chainline correct?

TOMMYBB

by TOMMYBB

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, as the new cannondale hollowgram SiSL 2 cranks have a 109mm spindle, but don't have a lip on them, so If were just to get some zipp vuma bb cups to get the spindle through and then chucked a few spacers in where needed, Shouldn't it work? Plus the rotor crankset I've already got on the bike has external bb cups and the chainline works perfectly, so wouldn't this just be a similar setup with the cannondale crankset?
Can anyone fault this?
Thanks