low gear creak, why?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tinchy

by tinchy

Hi all,

Looking for a bit of input as Im a bit puzzled on this one...

Basically, I can ride in the big ring and every cassette sprocket with no creaks.
I can ride on the little ring and the smaller sprockets with no creaks.
When I ride on the little ring and large casette sprockets (i.e. smallest gear combos) I get a creak with every pedal revolution or so - the creaking is exacerbated when riding out of the saddle/with aggression.

Now I first though bottom bracket, so replaced bearings, regreased and re tightened - still there.
I am certain its not the BB as I would expect creaking in other gear combos if it was the case.
Because its only happening on the lowest 3ish gears Im thinking it must be something to do with the cassette/freehub and the stresses they are put under when using those gear combos?

I'm going to put a different rear wheel in tomorrow and see if that makes any difference (indicating freehub issues).

Has anyone ever had a similar issue? :up:

thanks for any info

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Miller

by Miller

I'd try nipping the cassette lockring a bit tighter.

Raineman

by Raineman

Dura ace 9000 cassette? viewtopic.php?f=3&t=118879

My only other thought would be the chain rubbing on the FD cage, possibly due to the chainring not being straight if it happens once every pedal revolution.

tinchy

by tinchy

@Miller - that crossed my mind and I did so, I cant tighten anymore and creak still there.

@Raineman - its a 105 cassette but dura ace freehub, I had heard of the dura ace cassette issues

eric

by eric

Loose skewer, loose bearings/hub caps on the hub, loose spokes. Climbing in low gears puts more stress into the rear wheel especially, but also everything else drivetrain related. I have had loose pedals that only made noise when climbing in a low gear.

tinozee

by tinozee

Possibly chain ring bolts? At certain angles they can creak under strain. I just had a noise issue like that and when I took the rings off there was sweat corrosion behind one of the bolts causing dryness/creak. Just another thing to check, can also come from rear wheel, cassette, frame, etc.

Geoff

by Geoff

Which frameset and group? Wouldn't be a Cervelo S5, would it?

raisinberry777

by raisinberry777

If it happens more out of the saddle, my guess is the headset.

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

Changing the rear wheel will be a good way to narrow it down. Seems most likely to come from there, but the chainring bolts (or spider if that's a non integrated one) are candidates also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yeah, rule out the rear wheel first. Then, along with the other suggestions above don't overlook the chain's condition. If I've ridden in some cruddy weather and have some grit in the chain that can sometimes causes creaks under pressure, cured by washing the chain and applying lube. And make sure it isn't approaching worn out status.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

droid1973

by droid1973

Still creaking?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

Freewheel pawls.