New Scott Foil 2016?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Grill

by Grill

Yeah but without a bulletin or any other dealer corroborating said recall it sounds fishy.

wingguy

by wingguy

Grill wrote:Yeah but without a bulletin or any other dealer corroborating said recall it sounds fishy.

Yeah, I would advise talking to more than one dealer about any delays or recalls etc. Without corroboration the most likely explanation is usually that the individual shop screwed up somehow and is in CYA mode.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ophiravina

by ophiravina

This shop is the official importer and distributor of Scott bikes in israel and I spoke with the mannager about buying this bike, we are good friends. He said that there is a safety problem with the new frame and that this is the reason why Scott didn't ship the new bikes to them, They stoped the production and at the momment the bikes are not ready yet. there are no 2016 foil's in the country becouse of it.
from what I know the only pepole who ride the new foil's are from the Scott sponserd teams and employees. Have any of you actually seen a new foil in your local shop? Did you try to buy it? Can your Scott dealer order the new frame?

mrowkoob

by mrowkoob

KWalker wrote:Its not like Scott has really ever pushed the envelope aside from the original Addict (in the weight dept at the time).

What I'm not keen on is the Syncros components.

I think they pushed the envelope plenty before both with the aluminium Scott AFD which had the highest STW ever measured by tour magazine on a stock aluminium frame and to me the first Scott Cr1 (or C1 it was actually called before they got sued and changed it to Cr1) both pushing the envelope as the Addict. The Addict was the last frame so far to push the envelope from Scott. I blame this on stopping the cooperation with Peter Denk who went on to make the Supersix for Cannondale and ofcourse the Aero obsession...

Anyone know who Peter Denk makes frame designs for now besides Specialized? I understand he is freelance?
The unbearable wallet lightness of being a weightweenie

micky

by micky

Google says he left Cannondale for Specialized at the end of 2014.

mrowkoob

by mrowkoob

Micky this forum is full of people working in the business. I´m expecting info you can´t google.... capisci?
The unbearable wallet lightness of being a weightweenie

wingguy

by wingguy

mrowkoob wrote:I think they pushed the envelope plenty before both with the aluminium Scott AFD which had the highest STW ever measured by tour magazine on a stock aluminium frame and to me the first Scott Cr1 (or C1 it was actually called before they got sued and changed it to Cr1) both pushing the envelope as the Addict. The Addict was the last frame so far to push the envelope from Scott.

And the Scale HMX / Scale 899. been overtaken now but absolutely pushed the boundaries of MTB frame weight.

micky

by micky

mrowkoob wrote:Micky this forum is full of people working in the business. I´m expecting info you can´t google.... capisci?

I honestly missed your last sentence in previous post.
Pardon me.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

I've owned a Scott Foil Team, the Black/Red version, and the Foil 15 now with DA 9070...hard to find a Team/Di2 himod version of this frame in a 54.

Anyway, if they can make this bike that is slightly more aero, retains stiffness, yet can get the ride a bit more compliant so not to jar your hards etc..over every little road imperfection, would consider buying it. The combo/stem/bar setup integrated is one of the better looking/more subtle than the Vias and other brands. Also looks a little between the Canyon/TMR01/Foil hybrid look in a sense with the dropped rear stays lower. That should provide some more compliance I would assume.

Direct mount brakes...good move, more reliable and stiffer, especially since they dropped it under the BB/rear stays from the upper stays. Shouldn't be an issue with braking.

But...alas...recall issues someone says? Yow....me no likey. And they must have some kind of big problem with the manufacturing of these. Because the World Teams are the first people to be out riding these all the time before they are production ready/selling on the street. Haven't seen Orica/IAM etc...on these things at all...still on the old Foil I ride.

Sooooo.....will see.

knef

by knef

Several IAM riders use the new frame. Haven't seen any Orica riders on it, though.

arthurf

by arthurf

knef wrote:Several IAM riders use the new frame. Haven't seen any Orica riders on it, though.

Gerro and Bling were riding them at the TDF until they got caught up in one of the many crashes, not sure if they survived it though. Don't remember seeing any others using them though, they were all on the old Foil or Addict.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Well, I guess the pros not riding it isn't a huge thing. Sometimes they are slow to adopt. Like Sagan and Cannondale on the Evo when it came out. Same for the Vias. He has ridden it a few times, like Cav...but rare. Yet, the bike is on the showroom floors now selling, Vias that is.

Read December is the release date for the new Foil/Team/Di2 edition. Will see.

Only thing that concerns me though is the below BB direct mount brake. When I switch wheels between training clinchers and race tubulars/deeper/narrower. I need to tweak/mess with the brakes front/back to recenter and adjust width. Takes me about 30 seconds to do both, but they are easily accessible due to where they are mounted.

How does one do that easily with a rear BB mounted direct setup? Gheez, hate to do a wheel swap during a race and now big hassle to get the brake setup and going again!

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

BeeSeeBee wrote:Just because they put them there doesn't mean there wasn't an aero compromise to keep them in that location, a bike with them under the BB (Felt AR) came out ahead in Tour's latest test by a few watts (of course we have no idea if that's what made up the difference, but given the number of TT bikes that have moved them down there, I'm inclined to believe they're a bit faster below the BB) . If under the BB is faster, I'd prefer the almost non-issue compromise of having them there than lose some speed for perceived convenience. Of course everyone's requirements are different, just saying that there are those of us that have no qualms with that brake placement.

I'm all for uncompromisingly aero features, so long as they don't significantly compromise function, which in my experience, these do not.

Anyways, I can't wait until we get a neutral test of these new aero bikes, I'd love to see some significant gains in the aero department, but based on the phasing and marketing (Specialized using a "system" of gear to make it's claims, Cervelo not significantly making it's frame faster, but adding faster bits and bobs [wheels+bar] to make it's claims) I'm only expecting some marginal gains™.

What is humurous, several manufacturers have been conflicting on this subject. Some say the difference in drag by keeping the direct front brake setup and not hiding behind, or even cables exposed slightly is so insignificant, plus ease of maint for the average person...they decided to keep it simple. Then, like Scott, justify the more difficult nuisance of the rear BB mount for compliance reasons. So, when convenient, say it doesn't matter, they say it matters for something else when it applies.

Don't know. Specialized and the Vias has gone full blown everything hidden, brakes, bars, cables etc..real mess from the manual to setup/route and maintain though. Almost as bad as the TMR01 and that silly front cover/brake fairing.

mariovalentim

by mariovalentim

Zigmeister wrote: Almost as bad as the TMR01 and that silly front cover/brake fairing.

well, the difference is that you can always choose the TMR02 without the fork+brake not so with the foil, trek, vias...

REDUTOPIA

by REDUTOPIA

News? Someone saw this new foil at shops?? Or still anything?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com