New Scott Foil 2016?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

hasbeen

by hasbeen

If memory serves me correctly it was pro team mechanics that led the chorus of dislike for bb mounted brakes. There just wasnt anything they could do during a race situation.
That doesnt apply to most of us. Also, an old school Zipp like carbon cover would be nice too.
Casati Vola SLi and Dolan Preffisio
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
btompkins0112 wrote:
It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fletch62

by fletch62

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

Thought those cables would be routed through barstem/headtube... at least on the Di2

kgt

by kgt

Nothing innovative... some look 795 integration here, some Wilier 101 SR cabling there. I still prefer it over the new Venge or the new Trek.
In case the claims on low weight and hight comfort are true I bet it will be a much better ride than both Venge and Trek.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez wrote:Thought those cables would be routed through barstem/headtube... at least on the Di2

they are probably wishing they did now haha

nd2rc

by nd2rc

Holy head tube batman! I thought the industry learned a lesson when Cervelo first released the S5 a few years back with a head tube that tall. Kinda looks interesting, but Specialized and Trek's new bikes are way more innovative in my opinion.

KarlC

by KarlC

This is interesting .......

The rear brake is now mounted underneath the bottom bracket — This isn’t for aerodynamics (Scott suggests there’s little aero advantage to be had by having the brake down low); it’s to improve the comfort of the bike. How?

Mounting a brake in the traditional position apparently requires more material in that area to support the weight of and force from the brake. More material leads to a stiffer frame which reduces comfort. Reducing the amount of material in the area allows greater flex from the frame and, therefore, a plusher ride.

It’s worth noting that underneath-mounted rear brakes create extra challenges for mechanics and the lack of a convenient quick-release lever for the brake can be frustrating when trying to remove the rear wheel quickly.
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

Martin.dk

by Martin.dk

KarlC wrote:This is interesting .......

The rear brake is now mounted underneath the bottom bracket — This isn’t for aerodynamics (Scott suggests there’s little aero advantage to be had by having the brake down low); it’s to improve the comfort of the bike. How?

Mounting a brake in the traditional position apparently requires more material in that area to support the weight of and force from the brake. More material leads to a stiffer frame which reduces comfort. Reducing the amount of material in the area allows greater flex from the frame and, therefore, a plusher ride.

It’s worth noting that underneath-mounted rear brakes create extra challenges for mechanics and the lack of a convenient quick-release lever for the brake can be frustrating when trying to remove the rear wheel quickly.

That isn't exactly news. I think Trek used the comfort argument with the old Madone aswell.

Damn! that Black and yellow one looks nice, but rear brake and headtube area kills it for me.

/Martin
Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez wrote:Ohh okay! I just knew "plug" was something to put inside a hole... yikes

arthurf

by arthurf

nd2rc wrote:Holy head tube batman! I thought the industry learned a lesson when Cervelo first released the S5 a few years back with a head tube that tall. Kinda looks interesting, but Specialized and Trek's new bikes are way more innovative in my opinion.

The headtube looks tall but the front end is no higher than the current foil. They've dropped the lower headset bearing and integrated the fork into the frame more whereas the existing foil has more of a cutout behind the fork.

I agree that Specialized and Trek's offerings are far more radical and doubtlessly more aero but Scott have retained the features from the original foil that made it so good - aerodynamic but not at the expense of weight. Not sure there's enough difference to make me upgrade from my current foil but it does look good.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Rear brake clearance looks tight with the crank. I guess running stages pm on this frame is not an option.

lippythelion

by lippythelion

If/when Cannondale produce an aero road bike I hope it doesn't have a silly long head tube. Cannondale should stick to their principles that a race bike is a race bike, if one doesn't like it buy a Synapse.

aaric

by aaric

The idea with comfort and the rear brake is due to not needing to mount a cross-member to either mount the brake on, or keep the stays from flexing out if you use a direct mount option.

The clearance for a non drive side arm power meter is specific to using shimano brakes. If its like the Felt AR (which seems pretty close layout wise with the brake), an ee-works brake has way more clearance. I think there's a tektro version available as well.

albertop07

by albertop07

kulivontot wrote:Rear brake clearance looks tight with the crank. I guess running stages pm on this frame is not an option.

I had to put a spacer on my 2014 Madone in order to use Stages. The problem is with DuraAce 9000 brakes, some other brakes may work

KWalker

by KWalker

I'd ride one if it were free, but it seriously lacks in finishing and innovation compared to the Madone 9, Venge, etc.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

albertop07 wrote:
kulivontot wrote:Rear brake clearance looks tight with the crank. I guess running stages pm on this frame is not an option.

I had to put a spacer on my 2014 Madone in order to use Stages. The problem is with DuraAce 9000 brakes, some other brakes may work

EE and TRP 750r work
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com