New Scott Foil 2016?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wingguy

by wingguy

Of course they look similar. They both go up and down and are used to steer the bike.

Beyond that, not so much.

Grill

by Grill

I don't see it. Head tube, and especially fork, are completely different. I suppose if you stood 50 feet away and squinted, but that's the same for any bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BeeSeeBee

by BeeSeeBee

NiFTY wrote:The frame actually looks good. Seems stupid that anyone is bringing out bikes with BB mounted brakes in 2016 after they have been lampooned for the last few years but that is a far nicer looking frame than the new madone or venge.

Why? The shimano direct mount brakes work great and the whinging about them is completely overblown. Have you actually used them?

p3dalfaster

by p3dalfaster

When are we likely to see this being released? I hope Scott release some decent colours this time. The 2015 colours (apart from the Premium) suck.

djconnel

by djconnel

Given that even Trek couldn't pull off the brake on the chainstays thing I'm surprised Scott went there.... unless the goal is to convince you calipers suck and to switch to their disc version (they view the market as going to disc so design to that).

The camo is ugly but of course that's not their commercial paint.

Martin.dk

by Martin.dk

BeeSeeBee wrote:Why? The shimano direct mount brakes work great and the whinging about them is completely overblown. Have you actually used them?

No i haven't used them, but are you telling me that this doesn't affect brake performance and shorten the life of my Wheels?

Ofcause this is a bit extreme, as I wouldn't aim my road bike directly at the pools of mud, but it shows where the road debris and water ends up.

/Martin
Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez wrote:Ohh okay! I just knew "plug" was something to put inside a hole... yikes

amey

by amey

I have a madone with those brakes. I will sing infinite praises of the direct mount .. not so much about the rear brake placement. Although I think its one of the best ways of making an aero bike vertically compliant by making the seat stays flexy as there is no brake bridge.

I love how Emonda SLR and Canyon Aeroroad CF SLX use direct mount brakes. These brakes are as good as disc brakes for road usage.

Martin.dk

by Martin.dk

I agree and that's why my next bike will ba a Canyon Aeroad or a Cervelo. I want aero, but with standard components and traditional rear brake placement.

With that said, I do think the new Foil looks good, just not the rear brake.

/Martin
Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez wrote:Ohh okay! I just knew "plug" was something to put inside a hole... yikes

Mario Jr.

by Mario Jr.

Exactly, that's why I'm so happy with my Ridley Noah SL. No under the BB brakes for me, please.

hasbeen

by hasbeen

and just how muddy would it be sitting on the seatstays?
Casati Vola SLi and Dolan Preffisio
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
btompkins0112 wrote:
It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

BeeSeeBee

by BeeSeeBee

Martin.dk wrote:No i haven't used them, but are you telling me that this doesn't affect brake performance and shorten the life of my Wheels?

The third picture sure, but if you're riding in conditions like that with any regularity, I don't think any aero bike is going to be the right bike, bigger tires and clearance would be my main concerns. But no, other than the conditions in the last picture, the brakes are fine. They've been fine in the rain, with some grit on them, etc. I've only ever wiped them down with a rag when cleaning the bike and haven't adjusted them in more than 3000 miles.

I don't hear anyone giving Campy much grief for their single pivot rear brake, and I guaranteed you, these, even mucked up, are going to brake far better than those.

Martin.dk

by Martin.dk

I have absolutely no concerns about the tehcnical quality and performance of the direct mount brakes. It just so happens that I live in Denmark, and even though it's the end of June, we really haven't had summer yet. It's cold, windy and rainy until now. I think Cervelo, Canyon (and Trek with the new Madone) and others, shows that you can have a full blown aero bike with traditional rear brake placement.

Mario Jr.

by Mario Jr.

Agreed. +Merida, Wilier, Ridley all has "full blown" aero bikes with traditional brakes.

JensW

by JensW

or you hide it up behind the bottombracket. i´m not so sure that a brake on the seatstays would be so clean either in that conditions :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BeeSeeBee

by BeeSeeBee

Just because they put them there doesn't mean there wasn't an aero compromise to keep them in that location, a bike with them under the BB (Felt AR) came out ahead in Tour's latest test by a few watts (of course we have no idea if that's what made up the difference, but given the number of TT bikes that have moved them down there, I'm inclined to believe they're a bit faster below the BB) . If under the BB is faster, I'd prefer the almost non-issue compromise of having them there than lose some speed for perceived convenience. Of course everyone's requirements are different, just saying that there are those of us that have no qualms with that brake placement.

I'm all for uncompromisingly aero features, so long as they don't significantly compromise function, which in my experience, these do not.

Anyways, I can't wait until we get a neutral test of these new aero bikes, I'd love to see some significant gains in the aero department, but based on the phasing and marketing (Specialized using a "system" of gear to make it's claims, Cervelo not significantly making it's frame faster, but adding faster bits and bobs [wheels+bar] to make it's claims) I'm only expecting some marginal gains™.