Focus max seatpost offset.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

random101

by random101

Hi all,

I was just wondering, anyone else that rides a focus Max, have you changed to a zero offset seatpost?

I find myself struggling to stay in the back of the saddle and would much rather come forward (hasn't been an issue on any of my previous bikes). The saddle is as far forward as I can get it.

Edit, previous bike was a Focus Izalco SL Team 54, and prior to that a cervelo S2 (54 also).
Last edited by random101 on Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

I'd be looking at what's changed with regards frame geometry from your previous bikes before doing that.
Seat tube angle, top tube length, stem length, stack and reach.

Just slamming the saddle forward isn't actually doing you any good, or addressing the root cause. Unless you've gone from a 73 seat tube angle to a 63......

doogie2304

by doogie2304

i've just built up a new izalco max and the saddle position is not really that different from my previous bike (scott addict). the izalco max is a reasonably standard geometry, so unless you have changed frame sizes, it seems strange that you would suddenly need a zero offset post. another possibility is that you have set your saddle too high on the new bike which would more than likely cause you to move forward.

tinozee

by tinozee

Is it a big frame or have a lot of post showing? The longer it is, the further back it will go with a slacker angle. Check out Adam Hansen's bike for an extreme forward position with zero setback. I think that helium is a 72.5 deg seat tube. If he can do all three grand tours back to back I guess it works for him. So there's nothing wrong with it if you need or like it forward. It's all down to your body, fit, flexibility, etc. Did you not take down measurements for the fit of your last bike?

random101

by random101

tinozee wrote:Is it a big frame or have a lot of post showing? The longer it is, the further back it will go with a slacker angle. Check out Adam Hansen's bike for an extreme forward position with zero setback. I think that helium is a 72.5 deg seat tube. If he can do all three grand tours back to back I guess it works for him. So there's nothing wrong with it if you need or like it forward. It's all down to your body, fit, flexibility, etc. Did you not take down measurements for the fit of your last bike?

My bike fit guy has them, I was planning on seeing him but I'm still battling a saddle to suit me... was also planning on buying the zero offset seatpost just to have (pretty cheap used) then doing the fit again.

I think saddle selection is doing my the most damage - I had an all carbon saddle which was fine I could clock up 200km almost the same design as a Spec Romin 143mm with a bigger cut out.

So I got the Romin and am seeing saddle sores and a really sore ass... (I wear assos S7 knicks)

tinozee

by tinozee

Was that indoors or on a trainer? I only ask because I spent about 6500 km on the trainer this winter and it's a hellish torture device in terms of saddle sores. The trick is to get out of the saddle often and use a ton of chamois cream. also, if you already have them, be sure to keep super clean before and after ride and put neosporin on the sores, they will likely go away if you do that. The assos bibs are great. Saddle selection is really tricky and takes a while to get right. good luck!

random101

by random101

tinozee wrote:Was that indoors or on a trainer? I only ask because I spent about 6500 km on the trainer this winter and it's a hellish torture device in terms of saddle sores. The trick is to get out of the saddle often and use a ton of chamois cream. also, if you already have them, be sure to keep super clean before and after ride and put neosporin on the sores, they will likely go away if you do that. The assos bibs are great. Saddle selection is really tricky and takes a while to get right. good luck!

Just rollers, I don't spend much time on them just yet.

I use some cream with 10% benzsomething... some french brand - super effective to get rid of them but will bleach your clothes haha... Hopefully a wider saddle or an SMP helps.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Krull

by Krull

random101 wrote:Hi all,

I was just wondering, anyone else that rides a focus Max, have you changed to a zero offset seatpost?

I find myself struggling to stay in the back of the saddle and would much rather come forward (hasn't been an issue on any of my previous bikes). The saddle is as far forward as I can get it.

Edit, previous bike was a Focus Izalco SL Team 54, and prior to that a cervelo S2 (54 also).

no, i have not, as said, the "max" provides a demanding-, but standard-geometry. izalco max and izalco team sl have nearly identical geometry.
(->cervelo s2 is offered with seat-angle 73° or seat angle 76°!)

did you change saddle/seatpost or stem/handlebar when changing from izalco sl team to izalco max?

(different saddle-models often have completely different geometries, concerning the position of the rails and adjustability->you have to take the measure of saddle set-back from bottom bracket)