Headset gap

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Method01

by Method01

I'm having following issue on my new Wilier Cento1 SR (not my first one.. :| ). See pic below.

You can clearly see the upper bearing. I have another Ritchey top cone (Ritchey Pro) and the gap is a bit smaller then, but still visible. I know there has to be space to but this is too big. What upsets me is that I see those frames with both Ritchey Carbon and Ritchey Pro headsets without having this gap.. So why is this on this frame..

I was thinking about a spacer/washer to fill up that gap, but I have no clue where to find something like that. I'm not feeling any play at this moment.

I went to a Wilier dealer and his said it's not a problem and I should place an upper bearing that is less high..

You guys have any idea?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

I had the same issue with the lower bearings of my Ritchey wcs headset. I was also told by my LBS that it was not a problem and that it might be solved just by using another set of bearings. I never had any issues during the five years I was riding by CentoUno. That does not mean I did not mind... it is definitely a proof of a less than ideal manufacturing process.

Method01

by Method01

I also have a gap at the lower bearing but that's less worse because you see the fork crown a bit. The crown race is black so it's not that visible and I can live with that.

It's hard to solve this. I can buy an FSA headset, but will it be fixed then? That's not sure. I can buy another top cone but again, I'm not sure this helps..

First, I even had to sandpaper the headtube because the bearings wouldn't go in without a hammer.. Sometimes I'm thinking about asking for a new frame. The whole headtube part seems poorly manufactured.

em3

by em3

...are u sure there aren't any wafer spacers between your bearing cap/cover and the bearing?....u need to remove ur headset and look under the bearing cap/cover. Also, the diameter of your bearing cap looks too small for your top tube (aesthetically only)....there are wider bearing covers that u could find that provide a more seamless/tapered look.