New wheels - Honest opinions only please!!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

arthurf

by arthurf

I've got 404's and they're great for the area I ride in, real variety of flat to rolling terrain with some longer climbs and some very short steep climbs. Been on them for almost a year and they have been faultless (V9 hub). No noticeable flex when climbing and they hold their speed superbly. They handle the winds around here well, been out today and yesterday in 15-20mph gusty winds and never felt out of control with them.

I haven't used the CC40's but they aren't much lighter than 404's for a 20mm shallower rim. Most reviews of Mavic rims say the rim profile is dated and doesn't handle well in crosswinds but I'm sure some Mavic owners will be able to give you better feedback.

wingguy

by wingguy

Quite a big difference there - the CC40 is more comparable to the 303, the CXR60 is more like the 404.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

You will need to save 500g if you are goimg to make a difference on climbs and even then it will be small. Tubular wheels is the only way you will sensibly acheive this.

A 7.2kg bike is decently light and the wheels in reality wont be slowing you down much at all. try doing the maths to see if the gain is worth it. There are on line sitew that willmthe donkey work for you.

rossjm11

by rossjm11

arthurf wrote:I've got 404's and they're great for the area I ride in, real variety of flat to rolling terrain with some longer climbs and some very short steep climbs. Been on them for almost a year and they have been faultless (V9 hub). No noticeable flex when climbing and they hold their speed superbly. They handle the winds around here well, been out today and yesterday in 15-20mph gusty winds and never felt out of control with them.

I haven't used the CC40's but they aren't much lighter than 404's for a 20mm shallower rim. Most reviews of Mavic rims say the rim profile is dated and doesn't handle well in crosswinds but I'm sure some Mavic owners will be able to give you better feedback.

ACTUALLY, the CC40 and the new CXR wheels have wider rim with much better aerodynamics. The Mavic CCSLR and CCSLE have dated rim designs. The CC40s are supposed to be more aero then the 303s and lighter then the 404s. I have a pair of the CC40 Tubulars and will put a mini review up soon.

Of the wheels you provided, for best braking CC40, for most aero Zipp 404...
BMC SLR01 2015
Redline Conquest Team

droid1973

by droid1973

Take a look at Enve 3.4. Great all around wheelset

Kermithimself

by Kermithimself

Have a set Reynolds Aero 58's that I chose after riding Firecrest 404's for a couple of weeks. The Zipps were flexy and not very stiff, but quite fast. The Reynolds were stiffer and felt just as fast.
------------
If you dream of being famous - think of what birds do to statues.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kermithimself/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdCPaXwpeXT_LpuEF0REjqw
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gotlegscycling/

TALEO

by TALEO

MAD FIBers, 1170 grams,60mm front 66mm rear, some of the fastest spinning up wheels i have ridden, also love my reynolds rzr but they are expensive

kgt

by kgt

mad fibers are no longer sold

racersir

by racersir

Between those two i would go Zipp. There's another option the Reynolds Strike or Assault are now 2 way, you car run them tubeless or as a clincher.

kenmical

by kenmical

Mavic is not exactly lightest wheel for the price. I will go got 404 tubs. The clincher version is only about 200gram less versus your Zipp 60. So is it worthwhile?

scico

by scico

Nautiboy wrote:I Know you wanted clincher....but here are my recommendation

2015 Campagnolo Ultra Bora 35/50mm

2015 Corima MCC S+

It is 1.2 & 1.1kg respectively....light enough to climb, fast enough on flats...

And if you are concern about tubular repair(or the typical myth of a tour car support sort), see this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GoA9v6ZR0c

Some even reported it fixing a 5mm cut successfully.

Those stickers ar white or gray?

L3X

by L3X

ardennes777 wrote:
Poonjabby wrote:Consider Roval CLX40's

Whilst I acknowledge Rovas make an exceptional wheel, I would rather go for a brand that is "brand neutral". As Specialized is Roval I would not go for them! Similar with Syncros which is Scott

But Zipp = SRAM and you bike is all Shimano :)

Wheever

by Wheever

Have you considered something like the November Rails? http://www.novemberbicycles.com/rail-52/

You don't give a price point for the new wheels, but the rails are fairly cheap, have great hubs, and are decently light for clinchers in this depth. There is also the November nimbus Ti, which can be built with corima carbon in whatever depth you want. http://www.novemberbicycles.com/nimbus-ti-open/

sd5500

by sd5500

Love my 4.5s! They come in at 1478 gr.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

markyboy

by markyboy

Bora
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64