eBay (UK) second hand bike purchase for £900?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TImeMachine

by TImeMachine

Hi all

I'm looking to buy a second hand bike from eBay that will provide an upgrade summer bike from my Cube Peloton Race 2014 that I've been using in winter.

I am not too fussed right now about buying a brand new bike and therefore looking to the second hand market for a deal if I can find one, purpose of the new bike will be:

1. Ride in the Alps in Summer (obviously lots of climbs / descents)

2. Maybe the odd crit

3. Summer training bike

I'm not ruling out Alu but carbon would be nice, basically looking for the best bike I can get for my budget with the most upgrade potential for a reasonably light weight and aggressive build - options I have found (some of these are old bikes I realize that but that doesn't bother me so long as it fits the above requirements and provides an upgrade over what I already have):

1. Trek Madone 5.2 Ultegra - Carbon

2. Trek Madone 2.1 Ultegra - Alu

3. Trek Madone 5.9 - Carbon (the only bike to blow my budget, but I do like it)

4. Giant TCR Composite 2 - 2013 - Carbon

5. Specialized Tarmac Sport SL4 (2013-2014) - Carbon

6. Felt Z6 - Carbon

7. LOOK 585 Pro Team Carbon - This is I believe an oldish bike (2003-2005??) but it such a nice looking frame and the old reviews all gave it top marks

I have also been looking for a decent Allez frame but all I can find is the Allez Sport. Anyway, any suggestions? I'm not interested in a brand new frame right now I'm looking to see what the best bang for my budget I can get (even if it means an awesome frame but poor components to start off but with maximum upgrade potential for a low weight platform).

Any comments on the above list?

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

OrPe

by OrPe

of these - i would get the Look.

super balanced ride. smooth, agile, fast, comfy, ... you name it.

you can read a bit here - http://forums.roadbikereview.com/look/l ... 91773.html.

TImeMachine

by TImeMachine

Thanks for the feedback and link, very interesting reading, sounds like a great bike from the owners on there. Still keen to keep my options open, I really want to enjoy the journey that so many have on here of building up a bike with lightweight parts, therefore maybe I could look for a frame with that budget as opposed to a complete bike?

jekyll man

by jekyll man

http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/scott- ... 13-p213658

Good enough place to start, plenty light enough and also pretty stiff.
Maybe there's 1 that fits you :)
Official cafe stop tester

TImeMachine

by TImeMachine

Good link I did not know of that site! but unfortunately there is not one frame that fits :-(

So I've narrowed it down with a boost in budget to the following, what would your pick be?

1. 2011 Canyon Ultimate CF 9.0 PRO (Campag Chorus Groupset) - bought new end of 2013

2. LOOK 585 Pro Team Carbon as above, looks immaculate, shimano ultegra and Mavic Ksyrium ES

3. 2014 Giant TCR Advanced

4. Scott Addict R1 - SRAM Red 2008

5. Specialized Tarmac S-Works SL2 - Ultegra 2009

What do you guys think? I tried so hard to find a Scott Foil 15 / 20, but I could not find one in my size, gutted as I love that bike.

Anyway - tough decision, between the Canyon and Scott?? would appreciate any opinions, looking for an aggressive upgrade from my current bike which will give me the best performance / platform for my money - I know the above are 2nd hand not the newest frames out there but would still appreciate opinions.

Thanks guys

phollingswo

by phollingswo

Just to throw an alternative out there...do you have a race license?

Can get a Canyon Ultimate CF SL frameset, brand new, for £799 through their sponsorship programme (all you need to do is send your BC details when you order)

I'm just building a new race bike and went through this route to keep the cost down!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sawyer

by sawyer

I would buy a new bike - it's all safety critical. You want to know what it's been through. S/H from a trusted source is fine. From a stranger - a lottery.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup: