DT Swiss coversion kits

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

milroy

by milroy

Hi,

Can someone tell me exactly what I need to convert a DT Swiss 240s hub from Shimano to Campag 11?

There are kits available but exactly what components are in the kit?
Reason for asking is i ordered a kit and only recieved a campag shell.
I was under the impression the kit would include a shell with pre inserted bearings and an end cap.
Are these extra parts necessary to make the conversion?

Thx

CharlesM

by CharlesM

You just pull...

Pull off the free hub body and press the other into place.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

critracer26

by critracer26

The one I just got had the bearings, gear, and spring. I got mine from coloradocyclist.com

exhibitx

by exhibitx

should come with everything

bearings, end cap

weird if it didn't, maybe you got a replacement freehub body only instead of a complete freehub

MasterOMayhem

by MasterOMayhem

the bearings are pressed into the hub, you might get a spring and end cap. on the drive side take a pair of vice grips and just clamp lightly onto the end cap ( where the skewer goes into. ) and the just pull straight out... then the free hub will come right off... note the way the spring is, replace on new freehub and then put the endacp back on i tap it on lightly,

nitropowered

by nitropowered

Mine came with a body (with bearings inside) and an endcap.

DT Swiss Part number should be HWYABX00S1296S

milroy

by milroy

Thanks ppl.
I thought as much. I want to cry.
My wheels (2 months late to start with) came with the wrong freehub, now they ship the incomplete conversion kit.

Although web shopping can be a pain, the local price in Australia on these kits is AU$279 (about what, US$250). It is. Almost. Funny.

legs 11

by legs 11

They don't come with the cap anymore, you need to buy them additionally.
Yet another way DT can push the price up and screw everyone over. :(
Pedalling Law Student.

sawyer

by sawyer

yes ... DT hubs are expensive for what you get. Compared to Record hubs, ridiculously so.

The poor range of aftermarket hubs available is a good reason to go factory built - which is shame. More options would be great. Loads of threads on this forum contain complaints of squeaking around on Tune hubs with great Edge rims etc. ...

Surely the likes of Edge have an interest in resolving this situation?
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Dalai

by Dalai

milroy wrote:Although web shopping can be a pain, the local price in Australia on these kits is AU$279 (about what, US$250). It is. Almost. Funny.

The hassle of living in Australia! A few years back I wanted to buy a Corima freehub to convert my old Shamals to 10 speed. An item which cost only around 70 Euros (at the time ~AU$140) from Corima but they didn't allow a direct sale instead directing me to the Australian distributor. Price quoted from them was AU$400!

mr_tim

by mr_tim

sawyer wrote:yes ... DT hubs are expensive for what you get. Compared to Record hubs, ridiculously so.

The poor range of aftermarket hubs available is a good reason to go factory built - which is shame.

For lower spoke drillings, you can look at the new guys; c-4 which have prices below rrp of record / dura-ace for the ceramic bearing option, even lower prices for stainless phil wood bearings. Weight for pair hubs is 280gr. I don't know why anyone would look at DT Swiss when these guys are cheaper, lighter & as well built as 240 hubs.

Or get some traditional hope hubs (28h is lowest count thou) which seem to be good enough for 1001 mtb'rs - if they fit your frame :?

legs 11

by legs 11

What has C4 hubs got to do with a DT 240 freehub body?
Sorry Mr-tim :noidea:
I presume you just bought a pair?
Oh, and just to add, you know nothing of how good they are in the long term, and how they compare to DT 240s.
Stop the hype and give us some hard facts on them, not just your imagined ideas.
DT 240 is a good hub, and goes with a well proven track record, C4 does not, and to be frank...it's a bloody ugly hubset IMO.
Cheers, Rob.
Pedalling Law Student.

mr_tim

by mr_tim

legs - yep, bought a pair - will post up once built / run them in for a bit, waiting on spokes from starbike.

I was feeding back re; Sawyer comment on the rrp of the DT Swiss & what alternatives there were out there. There aren't that many hubs which come in lower drillings for decent weight / prices.

If record & dura-ace where available in lower count drillings, this gap in the market would be cleared up IMO. Not everyone can throw down £1000+ for a set of deep section wheels unfortunately.

cheers :D

legs 11

by legs 11

Way off topic...... :wink:
DT 240 end caps are different between Shimano and Campagnolo.
DT 190 end caps are different again. :wink:
Pedalling Law Student.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

milroy

by milroy

Thanks everyone.

One more quick question: Do you need the DT Swiss lock-ring when using Campy 11 Cassette on the DT swiss hub? Or is the Campy one fine?

http://www.dtswiss.com/Products/Accesso ... kring.aspx

I run both 11 cog and 12 cog cassettes...