2016 Giant TCR?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

chayanat

by chayanat

better di2 cable routing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stoney

by stoney

I'm a little underwhelmed at the moment with this new bike. I was expecting more I guess. Maybe when they reveal some of the testing numbers and specifications my interest may increase.

mimason

by mimason

Agree, I don't see much that is similar. Fork looks skinnied down too. To me it looks like the whole bike was reengineered.

tranzformer

by tranzformer

Yeah I agree with the opinion that the new update is a little underwhelming for know. Will be interesting to hear what Giant says about this new frame regarding weight and testing specs.

One thing that I can see, the rear triangle seems to be going the route of Cervelo in design theory. Thin seat stays for comfort. Big chain stays for stiffness and "power transfer." Still thinking Giant went with some Toray 1100 for the Adv SL. Guess we will have to wait and see.

MNX1024

by MNX1024

I guess to most, visually there wasn't much change. Personally I think it looks pretty nice, depending on the weight I might be tempted with upgrading my current TCR Advanced SL.

Super Brad

by Super Brad

I was hoping the bike would offer enough to force me to upgrade.
It may still do that, but aesthetics alone, it won't.
Hopefully once some more info trickles out we'll get a better understanding of what's at play.

53x12

by 53x12

wingguy wrote:Which means it wouldn't be a new frame design...

wingguy wrote:Again, it's listed in the same entry as the current R-series so it can't be a new mold or a disc model.

It may well not be anything at all.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/arti ... ent-44291/
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

wingguy

by wingguy

They're just making the same assumptions from the UCI sheet.

MatosVelo

by MatosVelo

You can find pictures of the new Giant TCR on my website : http://www.matosvelo.fr/index.php?post/ ... ed-sl-2016

srshaw

by srshaw

I really like the look of Giant bikes, but I would never buy a bike with an ISP. At least some manufacturres allow for conversion to a regular seatpost if it is cut wrong or the bike is bought used, but I'm not aware of a similar solution from Giant. That is a deal breaker for me.

Super Brad

by Super Brad

The ISP doesn't bother me so much from an aesthetic and performance sense, however it eliminates the possibility of shedding a decent amount of weight.
When Giant released their info graphic about frame module weight, they used a 250g seatpost for comparison with other frames. No one would dare use a 250g post on here!

spartan

by spartan

new stiffness/weight champ...

looking at this graph the spec is one fat pig vs the other grand tour road bikes.

good article with stiffness data

http://cyclingmagazine.ca/sections/news/the-debut-of-the-2016-giant-tcr-advanced-sl-0-and-the-2016-tcr-line/

the new wheels are setting new standards. with a tg 245 C.

"The Wheels
The carbon rims on the Giant SLR 0 and SLR 1 come in 30mm and 55mm deep versions that have a 23mm outer width and 17mm tubeless-compatible inner width. The glass transition temperature (Tg) of the resin is 245C, much higher than the industry standard. Giant claims to have performed brake-heating tests against Zipp and Reynolds rims and that the Giant SLR 0/1 clincher rim with SLR pads and 100psi tire lasted without any damage through two 15-minute tests for a total absorbed braking energy of 75Wh. Giant claims that the Zipp with Tangente pads also survived both 15-minute periods but that surface bubbling on the brake surface appeared, while Reynolds rims with Cryo-Blu pads failed during the first 15-minute test run."

http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/06/news/the-new-giant-tcr-wheels-and-saddles_375359#BA0fwI4D9al3Z4oc.99
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

F45

by F45

In view of their past shenanigans, I only trust 3rd party data regarding Giant. "Giant claims".....my eyes glaze over. I simply don't believe a word they release.

jeffy

by jeffy

what past shenanigans? not that i doubt you, just interested in more info.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com