2016 Giant TCR?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tranzformer

by tranzformer

I heard from a decently reliable source that Giant is going to release a new 700g TCR frame for 2016. Possibly see a release to the pro's this summer some time. Anyone else hear anything on the upcoming TCR?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wingguy

by wingguy

No details, just that it will be in pro ranks at the TdF.

Where we are the Propel has absolutely crushed sales of the TCR as an all round road bike, so the only way to go with it that'd be worthwhile is as a genuinely superlight Evo/R5 competitor. 700g-ish makes sense in that context.

TimmS

by TimmS

Saving about 80 gram of the current TCR is what caught my ears...

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

TimmS wrote:Saving about 80 gram of the current TCR is what caught my ears...

Is the current TCR (Advanced SL) that light? I thought they were in the neighbourhood of 1000 grams in the medium to large range.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

wingguy

by wingguy

Yeah, they'd need to save a lot more than 80g to be competitive in Evo/Addict/R5 territory.

tranzformer

by tranzformer

Supposedly Giant is dropping the ISP as well for the Advanced SL frame. A bit of the weight savings right there. Probably going to shoot for the <1000g for a frameset.

tranzformer

by tranzformer

Also, I would expect to see toray 1100 carbon used for the frame. Pinarello Dogma F8 has a one year exclusive right to its use. So I would expect the new TCR Advanced SL to use it on the new frame.

cfr

by cfr

From what I've heard, ~700g frame, top end model around 12lbs, D-Fuse seatpost, cable routing similar to the new Defy's, and they're looking to drop all aluminum TCR's and have a 17lb carbon bike with tiagra for $1500ish. Look for a release at the tour.

tranzformer

by tranzformer

All indications point to the new TCR Advanced SL being a very nice frame set. If they can undercut Cervelo and Trek on the pricing, Giant will have a solid offering for us ww riders.

mimason

by mimason

Giant rep told me more like 150 grams less. Adv SL only available in ISP.

mimason

by mimason

tranzformer wrote:Supposedly Giant is dropping the ISP as well for the Advanced SL frame. .

I was hoping for this too but thats not what I was told.

tranzformer

by tranzformer

Interesting regarding the ISP for the Advanced SL frame. The info I have heard is from the shop owner of a local bike shop that sells a lot of Giant bikes. Maybe he heard wrong or was misinformed.

Guess we will find out soon enough.

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

I just hope they change their geometry. A 120mm headtube in XS is very annoyingly tall.

ak47

by ak47

What's annoying for me is that their sticking with ISP.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sharkman

by sharkman

I've got two advanced SL framesets (both ISP) and can say that they avoid a lot of small niggles of "top of the line" framesets mentioned above.

I build a lot of framesets but creaking and guarantee claims (with the latest models) for the advanced SL are way less than with some of the competitors. If you know where to look for you'll see that Giant produces the framesets at their own factory and borrow a few good ideas from the brands they also produces (and manages to avoid all kind of fake advanced framesets coming from China).
My only complaint is that Giant always seems to want to sell a lot of cheap bikes whereas top of the line framesets only come in limited numbers and at a price which makes them less interesting compared to their competitors.
Non ISP for the SL allready was available for the US marked (although often in weird colours) but unless travelling a lot (by plane) I can't think of a reason to drop it and geometry is fine (for taller headtubes they allready got the defy, only in the smaller sizes the geometry is a bit of a compromise)