Groupset & Wheels?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Which Group Set

Chorus
48%
Ultegra
36%
Sram Force 22
16%

Total votes: 75

ALAN Carbon+

by ALAN Carbon+

+1 for Chorus and Zondas or Neutron Ultra

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

doogie2304

by doogie2304

another vote for chorus and eurus or neutron ultras

kgt

by kgt

I can't see how people think that all the groupsets are ''similar'' in terms of performance. As stormur said you cannot ignore Chorus' multiple gear shift option. This alone is a reason to go for Campagnolo.

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

mixit. Chorus levers-mechs, Fulcrum RS chainset (cheaper-lighter-looks better-actually hollow), Sram Force calipers (lightest, reasonably priced), Neutron wheelset. :thumbup:

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Right now the 2015 chorus is the best performance per $$ groupset monies can buy.
And that's compared to RED, DA and SR
It's in another league to ultegra and force

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Campagnolo all the way. You can always use the Shimano cassettes to be cheaper. I have not, but I've heard it works without a hitch.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

sugarkane wrote:Right now the 2015 chorus is the best performance per $$ groupset monies can buy

where I live Chorus costs approx. 1.9 times more than mechanical Ultegra, 1.4 times Ultegra Di2. and is only 100euro cheaper than Dura Ace.. hardly a bargain
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

jimborello

by jimborello

I own a Lynskey Helix OS and this week I built it with a 2015 Campy Super Record groupset. It looks awesome!! Choose Campagnolo, the aesthetics compliment a ti frameset much better than Shimano or Sram, and campy groupsets age better than the rest, and thats perfect for a ti bike wich I guess you intend to keep a long time.

Svetty

by Svetty

Brand snobbery often dictates people's advice - some posts above include complete b*****cks - subjective views dressed up as objective fact IMO.........
If it was my money I'd get Ultegra and Pacenti rims on Dura-Ace or DT Swiss hubs c CX -Rays - just my opinion though :)

tranzformer

by tranzformer

tymon_tm wrote:
sugarkane wrote:Right now the 2015 chorus is the best performance per $$ groupset monies can buy

where I live Chorus costs approx. 1.9 times more than mechanical Ultegra, 1.4 times Ultegra Di2. and is only 100euro cheaper than Dura Ace.. hardly a bargain

+1.

doogie2304

by doogie2304

Svetty wrote:Brand snobbery often dictates people's advice

i can't believe this happens on a web forum... :shock: :shock: :shock:

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

My advice comes from installing many of all the groupsets mentioned..

Personally I run SR but I advise Chorus as the pic of the bunch...

disneysland

by disneysland

So it looks like, Chorus pips ultegra, although it is nearly twice the price, so I guess it should.

The question now is, that Dura Ace 9000/9001 can be had for similar money to the Chorus, especially if you ditch the DA cassette in favour of the much cheaper and more reliable, although heavier Ultegra version.

So Dura Ace or Chorus, weights are very similar after the cassette change, DA about 50g lighter.

Thanks again to all contributors to the thread.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

best thing you can do right now is try both Shimano and Campa out to see how you feel about them, it's basically down to the levers' shape and the way you shift (thumb trigger on Chorus) and Campa's holy grail which is this multiple shifting thing - which personally I don't find necessary, but whatever. other than that it's really just splitting hair.
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.