Scott Foil? Who owns one?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kgt

by kgt

I don't think one can really answer if it works well as an aero frame. You have to 'test' it somehow in comparison to other frames. According to tour magazine it stands somewhere in the middle in terms of aero performance.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=123175
According to the same test Addict is a better combination of aero and light.

ross

by ross

I've had one for 6 months, I don't know if it's a good aero frame but I can tell you it's light and bloody stiff (HMX version). Great for a few hours blast, not my go-to bike for all day rides though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I sold mine!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

SEDK

by SEDK

I ride a 2013 Team Issue HMX (same as current model I think) and find it really great.

Very stiff and direct roadfeel, which I like, and no comfort issues for me even on long rides. Comfort is obviously up to individual preferences, but I think the Foil is much better than its reputation. Comparing to my old Principia alloy winter bike, the Foil is super comfy while still offering a superb roadfeel.

Difficult to say if it gives you an aero advantage or not but it surely is a fast looking (and riding) bike with no weight penalty compared to most other makes.

/Andreas

53x12

by 53x12

Juanmoretime wrote:Does it really work well as an aero frame? It appears to be the best of two worlds. Aero and light.

I know you like Scott frames (you have a Plasma right?) so that is why I assume you are first leaning towards the Foil? I think it really depends what you want out of the "aero" and what you want out of the "light" aspect. Are you really interested in the most aero frame you can get that is the lightest, or just the lightest that happens to be "aero"?

I don't think the Foil is bad. Personally I haven't ridden one, but I know a lot of riders like theirs but other riders seem to think it is uncomfortable. Not sure how much of that comfort is an issue of the frame or just wrong wheels/tires/pressure combo. You might need to do the test ride yourself to figure that out.

In terms of aero, it isn't in the top tier of frames. If you want a little aero and more lightweight, you might be better off with a R5 or Madone that is lightweight but has some aero benefits.

Have you looked at the Felt AR FRD. That is a very aero frame that is also lightweight for an aero frame. 9xxg frame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYP0pLo ... freload=10

Also a very aero frame from all indications.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

PinaRene

by PinaRene

Hi,

I have a Foil Team issue since 2013 and also have an Addict R1 since 2009. To maintain speed the Foil is superb to the Addict, when I go out for club training I always use the Addict. The aero advantage is not important then for me. The Foil is also great to ride in the Alps - to descent is a dream on this bike - stiff but comfortable - light and aero. The choise of wheelset will also depends if the bike feels slow or faster / comfort or no comfort at all.

Last week I was riding in this set-up on the flats here in the Netherlands. Great if it's a bit windy BF 3-4, if less I use the C50 wheels and when I go to the Alps I will use 7850C24 - also with 25mm tubulars.

arthurf

by arthurf

As said above, it's not a pure aero frame like a Propel or an S5 but it will go uphill much faster than either of those and not much slower than an Addict.

I've had my Foil for almost a year and love it. I couldn't say for sure if there are any aero gains from the frame but it is certainly quick to get up to speed and holds it much better than any other bike I've owned. Judging by my Strava times, it's certainly no slouch on the hills either.

ardennes777

by ardennes777

Had a team issue HMX version w full dura-ace 9000, ritchey carbon stem + bars and shimano 9000 c24 wheels (training) and c50 (racing)

It is a super, super stiff bike! Extremely efficient! It flies!

After 2-3hours all the excess vibration the frame kicked through the seat post would make you feel a bit ordinary! Not the most comfortable!!
If you are after a fast crit bike/sprinting bike then its ridiculously good!

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

ardennes777 wrote:Had a team issue HMX version w full dura-ace 9000, ritchey carbon stem + bars and shimano 9000 c24 wheels (training) and c50 (racing)

It is a super, super stiff bike! Extremely efficient! It flies!

After 2-3hours all the excess vibration the frame kicked through the seat post would make you feel a bit ordinary! Not the most comfortable!!
If you are after a fast crit bike/sprinting bike then its ridiculously good!

^^^

I agree! I had a numb sensation in the perineum no matter what i did talking, tires, air pressure or change of saddles.
It got so bad i needed to change position and even change saddle position to give relief.
I ran two wheelsets, Fulcrum Red Wind 50 XLR and Mavic CCU.
I realized i had to give it up so i sold the frame. I have read many seems to have problem with the BB on Foil though.
No experience on my own on that subject.
Some seems to like it, but i would not dare to recommend this frame due to my own experience.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

muntos

by muntos

Does Foil (Team Issue 2013) accept a 25mm tubular tire regarding frame clearance ? I just purchased a Foil frameset and a Bontrager Aeolus 3 wheelset (27mm wide), would like to fit a 25mm wide tubular tire but want to be sure before buying them...

Grill

by Grill

Yes. Ran 25mm Pro4 on mine which were actually 27+

muntos

by muntos

Grill wrote:Yes. Ran 25mm Pro4 on mine which were actually 27+

Thank you !

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

I own one. Personally, the stiff HT/Rear stays and the vibration and ride quality are pretty horrible. I have two sets of wheels, clincher/tubular..unless I drop the pressure below 90psi, which I never do, the ride quality is not so great. The vibration coming through the bars/saddle are wearing on me after 2yrs.

I'm personally looking to move onto something else with a better ride quality, yet still aero/stiff. Maybe they have rectifed that with the new Foil, but the frameset premium version will likely be a $4k proposition...so, for another 2yrs until used ones start to hit eBay, likely find another frame to ride. Maybe an Felt AR1, for $2499, basically a direct weight comparison/equiv of the Foil 15 I have now. Don't know. Still kicking it around.

Rest of the bike is great, the ride, not so much.

Grill

by Grill

Did many 200, 300, 400, and 600k rides on my old Foil on 23c tyres pumped to 120psi and loaded with heavy bags. Always felt comfy to me...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bluecoupe

by Bluecoupe

I have a Foil 30 with the HMF frame. I have done 4 hour rides on it with Reynolds Assault SLG wheels and didn't feel any discomfort.