Ear Protection for windy ride days

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

KarlC

by KarlC

Lately I've noticed that my ears and throat with start to bug me during or after a riding on windy days, It's like I feel a head cold coming on.

Can anyone recommend some light weight summer weather Ear Protection ?

Anyone tried these products ........ http://www.cat-ears.com/
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Tried earplugs or maybe just a little cotton?

dunbar42

by dunbar42

Earplugs don't work IME. They resonate from the wind. I use in-ear style headphones on low/off depending on the conditions. I've heard good things about Cat Ears if you can get over the dorkiness factor.

KarlC

by KarlC

I have not tried earplugs as I was thinking it would block to much noise that I want to here from others riders or traffic.

Cotton may work ?

I was thinking of something like a lightweight headband might work.
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

dunbar42 wrote:I've heard good things about Cat Ears if you can get over the dorkiness factor.

It's impossible to get over this...

Go with the headsets. They should provide enough protection.

mattr

by mattr

Use a buff. Or at least a bit of buff, just enough to cover the ears, two layers works well.

ergott

by ergott

Some helmets work better by simply putting a twist in the strap. Makes a big difference. Yes I have Cat Ears and they work. I just have a hard time justifying their existence to anyone else I ride with;-)

wojchiech

by wojchiech

get your ears clipped, or tape them back :P
Last edited by wojchiech on Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

wingguy

by wingguy

KarlC wrote:Lately I've noticed that my ears and throat with start to bug me during or after a riding on windy days, It's like I feel a head cold coming on.

Are you sure you're not getting hayfever? :noidea:

KarlC

by KarlC

wingguy wrote:
KarlC wrote:Lately I've noticed that my ears and throat with start to bug me during or after a riding on windy days, It's like I feel a head cold coming on.

Are you sure you're not getting hayfever? :noidea:

Based on the fact that I dont have any of the below issues, I would say no.

Symptoms of allergic rhinitis, or hay fever, frequently include nasal congestion, a clear runny nose, sneezing, nose and eye itching, and excess tear production in the eyes. Postnasal dripping of clear mucus frequently causes a cough. Loss of the sense of smell is common, and loss of taste sense occurs occasionally. Nose bleeding may occur if the condition is severe. Eye itching, redness, and excess tears in the eyes frequently accompany the nasal symptoms.

Its more like a head cold and when I do cover my ears on a ride its not really an issue.

I'm not sure what is the real problem, I just started riding this year and at 1st this was not and issue. I 1st noticed it after a windy week of riding 4 days and about 8 hours that week. Now its almost a non stop issue, but I do rides on the windy Fiesta Island (San Diego) 2-4 hours a week and then some other rides that can be windy also.
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

WeightySteve

by WeightySteve

Can anyone recommend some light weight summer weather Ear Protection ?

Anyone tried these products ........ http://www.cat-ears.com/

Have we gone back to April 1st or something.

Too windy, need earplugs. LOL MTFU, or do a turbo/rollers session if it's really a problem!

Move this topic please admins??

liam7020

by liam7020

Might tend to agree with weightysteve. Although, the other thing is maybe you do have a virus. On windy days the body has to work a little harder so maybe you've been over training and it's starting to show when you have to exert more effort? Take a few easy days and see what happens. Defo shouldn't need ear plugs to ride a bike unless you're Valentino Rossi....
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

tinozee

by tinozee

You might be drying out if you are a mouth breather. Also some pollen is invisible this time of year. I just finished todays ride and had a strong headwind for a good 2 hours of it. The annoying part to me about noise is not hearing cars as well and constant checks. My area is a small peninsula with no shoulders and a lot of fast traffic, trucks, etc.. It's windy all year but you can have fun with it. It's great for training your aero position actually. Then when you go to the mountains or inland, it's a treat!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

roadieboy

by roadieboy

I can't bring myself to use them in a group ride because they just look so stupid, but Cat Ears work really well to reduce wind noise. I use mine for solo road rides, when I'm on the MTB, I'm usually using headphones, so I don't bother with them. A nice bonus is that you can hear cars behind you much earlier than without them.