traditional bend bars, need help

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

H0RSE

by H0RSE

FSA Energy Traditional is my recommendation. Utterly stiff and a fairly conservative classic shape.

shlammed

by shlammed

H0RSE wrote:FSA Energy Traditional is my recommendation. Utterly stiff and a fairly conservative classic shape.

Reach of 90mm. quite a long bar for what im looking for.

M

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

elSid

by elSid

???

edit: troll posted something that was removed. Before I realized what it was, I added "???" to the non sequitur.
Last edited by elSid on Sun May 17, 2015 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

bfno

by bfno

NaN wrote:aero

Could you please stop posting useless one word responses to posts like you have been doing to get your post count up. If you are not going to elaborate or share knowledge then it really is of no use to anyone if you are just going to regurgitate marketing hyperbole.

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

gkmn wrote:Pro Vibe 7S round give a flat transition from hoods with a round bend.

+1 - Going through this same exercise looking for a 26mm clamp - it appears that with some modern bars with round bend you can set them up with levers with shorter reach than some short and shallow options - the round Pro Vibe 7s is case in point and very classic looking although not light - just a shame they are not available in 26mm!. If you are running Campy don't forget the old Deda Newton.
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

Racing2

by Racing2

HTML wrote:Ritchey WCS NeoClassic

Drop/Reach: 128/73mm

Anyone knwos werther there is an carbon version of this or another brand with the same bend and made from carbon?

ross

by ross

I would have said Zipp Service Course CSL super short reach which are 70mm / 128mm and traditional bend, but they stopped making them and replaced with a slight ergo bit.

http://www.zipp.com/bars/service-course-sl-70---/#

I have a pair of the SL-70's and I really like them. Mine weighed 258g for 42cm though so not the lightest available, but respectable for alu bar

Hapsmo911

by Hapsmo911

Racing2 wrote:
HTML wrote:Ritchey WCS NeoClassic

Drop/Reach: 128/73mm

Anyone knwos werther there is an carbon version of this or another brand with the same bend and made from carbon?

The ProVibe comes in carbon. the reach and drop are very close, both short and shallow. The big difference is the ProVibe has a larger diameter top.

wheelzqc

by wheelzqc

Deda Newton Shallow. They are awesome. I have small hands and best bars for me. Super comfy in the drops.

em3

by em3

wheelzqc wrote:Deda Newton Shallow. They are awesome. I have small hands and best bars for me. Super comfy in the drops.

+1...and I am almost certain that they are the only short and shallow, classic bend bar that is available in both 26.0 and 31.8 clamp diameter (31.8 new version is labeled Zero 100 shallow, previous version labeled Newton Shallow; 26.0 new version labeled as Speciale 26, older version labeled 215 shallow)

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yup, got them on all my bikes now. And they're not really that shallow at 135mm. There's a lot shallower bars out there which I don't like at all. The Bonts that came with the Trek I bought were only 125mm. Changed those out first thing.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

em3 wrote:
wheelzqc wrote:Deda Newton Shallow. They are awesome. I have small hands and best bars for me. Super comfy in the drops.

+1...and I am almost certain that they are the only short and shallow, classic bend bar that is available in both 26.0 and 31.8 clamp diameter (31.8 new version is labeled Zero 100 shallow, previous version labeled Newton Shallow; 26.0 new version labeled as Speciale 26, older version labeled 215 shallow)

Not sure this is quite correct. I believe the Deda 215 was 26.0 and available in three bends - shallow round/anatomic and deep and weighed around 230g. The 31.8mm version is/was the Newton - also available in same three bends.
The Zero 100 is a different 31.8 bar with the newer RHM bend and is a true modern short and shallow but less classic shape than the Newton.
The Speciale 26 has same or very similar bend to the 215 shallow round but weighs around 320g - hence its low price.

The 215/Newton Shallow Round is a firm favourite with many ergo lever users as it gives a reasonably flat transition, shorter reach and round bend. You can still find new old stock 215's on Ebay.
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Deda has really confused things with their nomenclature as the last few posts verify. I had a heck of a time sourcing the "DEDA ZERO 100 SHALLOW" bars recently. Some websites have the wrong pic with this description and assume it's the Deda Zero 100. Completely different bars. The ZERO 100 SHALLOW bars are about the most "classic" of the classic shaped bars available. Good ramp (not a flat transition to the hoods), nice curve (not RHM), and a good significantly long flat section on the drops. The drop is 135mm which really is not that "shallow" at all by today's standards where it's easy to find bars with a drop in the 125mm range. And the reach is 80mm. Campy levers in particular set up fantastically on these bars.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The deda rhm01 is quite cheap bar that offer short reach and a flat transition to the hoods. It fairly compact though in terms of drop.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Razor

by Razor

Are there any bars that are aluminum, with the traditional bend and flat tops?