traditional bend bars, need help

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

shlammed

by shlammed

Im looking to get some traditional bend drops for a frame Im building.

I want a short reach and a standard drop aluminum bar or moderately priced carbon bar. ~$100 or less for a new bar would be optimal.

What are the WW (et al) options for a short reach bar with a traditional bend? I have tried ergo bends but I dont like them and I have a compact bend on the bike now but prefer the bars from my old steel bike.

M

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Deda Zero 100 SHALLOW. The name is very misleading, since the normal Zero 100 bars are not a traditional bend but rather their RHM bend which I never liked. Also, though they say SHALLOW they are not that shallow at all at 135mm. Compared to their deep drop bars maybe, but actually deeper than most current bars out there these days. And the reach is 80mm.
No carbon offerings, it just comes in alloy.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shlammed

by shlammed

Thanks for the suggestion.

Is there any other bars out there similar in the drops but with less "pista" style where the lever clamps would go?

M

Assuming this is the bars:

On a bike, photo from google.
Last edited by shlammed on Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HTML

by HTML

Ritchey WCS NeoClassic

Drop/Reach: 128/73mm

TimmS

by TimmS

What do you mean by "pista style"?
Do you want a horizontal transfer to the hoods?
Then you could look a Fizik Cyrano for snake bars or the Ritchey Neoclassic bend.

shlammed

by shlammed

TimmS wrote:Do you want a horizontal transfer to the hoods?

That was my thought.

The bars I had on my Miyata were a single radius round bend and they were awesome. Very comfy in my hands.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ok, then you're not really looking at a "classic" bar then. And yes, the pic you showed is the Deda bar I was referring to.
3T may have what you're looking for. A more horizontal transition to the levers from the tops of the bars with a quite round bend to some level drops. It's called the Tornova.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

boots2000

by boots2000

Do you want moderately priced or WW?
Sometimes they cannot happen in the same bar.
What width do you need?

shlammed

by shlammed

My apologies in the description. Thanks for the help @Calnago.

classic was implied just because all of the ergo/compact bars I see have no flat at the bottom of the drops.

The neoclassic bar looks nice and similar to what im looking for. Thanks HTML.

@boots2000. Budget is the deciding factor. I like to keep the weight down, but price and style get more priority. I have the budget and whatever I can get within it is what will make me happy.

kgt

by kgt

Older Ritchey wcs classic. 239gr in 42cm if I remember well.

RussellS

by RussellS

TimmS wrote:What do you mean by "pista style"?
Do you want a horizontal transfer to the hoods?

Pista style means track handlebars. If you look at track bars you see they have no place to put levers because they don't have levers on the track. Track bars only have tape on them. Usually just tape on the bottom half. Track riders are in the drops all the time. There is no riding on the hoods because the bars have no hood levers to grab and you are never riding casual on the track. You are racing and going hard. The picture above of the Colnago had track looking bars. The bars sloped down immediately for you to grab the drops. They were not made for riding with your hands on the hoods. The bars were not made to even have levers on them.

wingguy

by wingguy

Calnago wrote:Ok, then you're not really looking at a "classic" bar then. And yes, the pic you showed is the Deda bar I was referring to.
3T may have what you're looking for. A more horizontal transition to the levers from the tops of the bars with a quite round bend to some level drops. It's called the Tornova.

The Tornova still has a fair slope to the clamping section, the Fizik Cyrano Snake is definitely flatter on top with reasonably short 85mm reach. Pretty hefty 140 drop, but the D shape bend gives masses of space for your hands.

gkmn

by gkmn

Pro Vibe 7S round give a flat transition from hoods with a round bend.

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

Not mentionned yet, Zipp SL2 has the shape you're after. Don't know the price though.

russianbear

by russianbear

I really like my zipp SLCs. I believe the alu version meets your criteria.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com