axlightness P38T vs Mavic CCU

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

superdx

by superdx

SRAM has only been raced starting this year I think. It's been photographed before this year and rumoured for much longer, but not raced prior to 2015 (as far I can tell).

Lieblingsleguan

by Lieblingsleguan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Yn_U7vcB4g
This rule is constantly bent. Custom geometry frames like last years SuperSix for Peter Sagan are also a somewhat grey area at least. As long as it doesn't get excessive, the UCI won't do anything about it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

^^^

Sure they began 2014, they used false wires/cables for quite awhile to cover it up.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

kim

by kim

ccu good

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

djm

by djm

Also the owner of two pairs of CCUs since late 2011. So far we've only seen the front rim in a new version from Mavic, right? I thought the new one would be out last year, as they were seen somewhere already then or in late 2013.

I really like the wheels. "Stiff and comfortable". They seem to make any really good bike, just a bit better.

vlastrada

by vlastrada

....they are not even in the same league...

CCUs pretty light, extremely stiff (incl torsionally), extremely robust and race proven.
I am pretty impressed with them. I got MP3 insurance so can ride and race them w/o worries

AX.... lighter..but...that's about it...

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

vlastrada wrote:....they are not even in the same league...

CCUs pretty light, extremely stiff (incl torsionally), extremely robust and race proven.
I am pretty impressed with them. I got MP3 insurance so can ride and race them w/o worries

AX.... lighter..but...that's about it...

What is your experience with Stream 38?
Do you own them, test ride and head to head compairson?

I also have CCU 2014 (used them with 4 different bikes) and i will test Stream 38 with Tune hubs. So, atleast i'll know for sure.
Speculations is not same as knowledge. There seems to be alot of speculations here but knowledge and real experience, hm... who?
Anyone?
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

vlastrada

by vlastrada

....oh man relax, get a grip. Seriously, it's a cycling forum.

Really looking forward to your data/evidence showing the P38T being stiffer though! :) And have a lovely day

petromyzon

by petromyzon

^^^ errr... I'm sure he is relaxed, no need to be rude, dismissive and off-topic just because he made a decent point.

I have a set of P38T on Extralite cyber, not ridden them yet due to injury. They are 970gr, 26mm wide with a modern blunt profile giving a nice overall shape with 23-25mm tubs. My personal opinion is that I would not want to sacrifice ride quality by going to 21mm tubs on CCU, nor aerodynamics by running 23 or 25mm on them.
I also wouldn't buy a set of multi thousand euro/dollar wheels that had such a critical update (wider rims) circulating in the pro ranks, no matter how much Mavic reps promised me they weren't due for an update.

They may well be one of the stiffest wheels ever made but I am sure there are faster wheels out there.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

wheelsONfire wrote:
I also have CCU 2014 (used them with 4 different bikes) and i will test Stream 38 with Tune hubs. So, atleast i'll know for sure.
Speculations is not same as knowledge. There seems to be alot of speculations here but knowledge and real experience, hm... who?
Anyone?
[/quote]

Well it appears you will have to be the Guinea Pig. Seems as if real life experience with the AX's are limited.......unfortunately
BB

Coffee & carbon

climber8

by climber8

Got a set of p38t's on the way to me. I will glue some Vitoria 24s to them (possibly a 700x22 front depending on the profile/fit) and race them next weekend (road race).

I have a set of Ax wheels (Srt 24 rim with tune hubs) that I built for pure hill blimps. They are quite a bit more versatile than I thought they would be. I would ride them more but essentially mounted time trial tires to them--basically for those events I was willing to risk a flat for a faster time.

I'm generally riding these wheels uphill at 5+ w/kg.

I bought the p38s because I have a road race as the final stage of a stage race, which has a 70-mile rolling prelude to a 13+ mile climb. I felt the P38's were likely to be a bit aero along the way to the climb and a fair bit lighter on the climb itself. Every 500g saved on bike or body would amount to 30" faster on that climb alone.

Alternatives i could race include zipp 303s and 404s, with slightly heavier Vittoria tires, or the Ax Srt 24s. I'll likely race the zipp 404s in an earlier stage (80 miles, 7000 of climbing...but we descend everything we climb and the finish is flat and fast)....but if I am in contention for the GC I am thinking of the P38's on that final day..with a lighter/riskier tire choice.

Crazy, right?

The Srt 24s have helped me to personal best times and wins or 2nd place in every hill climb time trial that I've ever used them. Curious about the P38s but as with the original poster there was not much public info so had to take a risk.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

No wheelset is bad in any way, the CCU feels more edgy and snappy, slightly more nervous (in compairson).
You can also find CCU less easy to hold line with than the 38.
I don't know if this is due to the width of CCU vs the 38!?

The first you note is actually the stabilty of the 38, you will hold line better.
The calm nature of this wheelset might be interpreted as it is slower, but it's not.
It rails with confidence.
Next you note is that they are actually less prone to be touched by wind.

I rode CCU with Vittoria Corsa SR (24mm) rear and CXIII (23mm) front.
CCU felt better when i changed rear tire (due to puncture) to Schwalbe The One 22mm.
I will swap front tire to The One 22mm also.
Actually, there was no increased harshness, it just felt faster, like The One 22mm was the missing link.

Stream 38 runs on The One 24mm, which are perfect on these rims.
It fits perfect with the rims walls and it looks great on both CCU and Stream 38.

I could detect no brake rub, no flex (atleast not that i can provoke) on my Stream 38.
I need to test ride them at lower pressure, first ride was 8.25 and 8.5 bar and that worked great.
But i think i can lower the pressure 1 bar or more if i want.

Talking lowered air pressure, is not to say 38 felt harsh, no, infact they are very smooth in ride feel, like a wolf in sheep clothing perhaps.

In all honesty, i don't think anyone would be in a bad boat using any of these two wheelsets.
As a friend told me, let the Tune hubs wear in more.
I think that is a good idea.
So far, i like the 38 set. I think the Tune version is the best option.
Mig 45 uses a 15mm carbon spindle and according to Tune, there is no reason to use a 17mm carbon spindle as this version is so stiff as it is.
There is no weight limit to these hubs.
As mentioned, this is just a first ride test.

Both wheels look great and ride great. It also runs down to what you like to use.
I must say, CCU is IMO, better suited to 22mm tires and i guess this also is a better option if you want the best aero out of them.
38 fits 23-25mm tires better with it's wider rim/ tire bead.

The 38 will feel in a sense, calmer and a bit more laidback in feel.
If it matters, i am 74Kgs and 182cm.
Also rode this on Vial EVO D which is a bike that has a refined character as it is.
Maybe those who feel they have a bit harsh ride, would better use Stream 38 due to it's nature.
CCU has an impeccable record, Stream 38 is a rather new wheel, but don't let that put you off.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com