Oakley Lens: Photochromic, Polarized or Prizm

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bungis

by bungis

Another vote for photochromic. 25% - 75% light transmission range is plenty unless you ride on mercury or something.

I don't understand why people like completely hiding their eyes under lenses, to look cool and be stealthy? Strikes me as unsafe and antisocial when others can't see where you're looking, especially drivers.

wingguy

by wingguy

Why do drivers need to know where you're looking unless they want to pull out in front of you and bet that you'll brake in time to avoid them? Road safety is based on rules of priority and rights of way - second guessing what someone's going to do based on eye contact isn't in the highway code.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I have a pair of the old Specialized Photochromic and I do like the way the lens works but I am big time Oakley fan so my next pair will likely be the Radar with Photochromic after reading this.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

jonnyBgood

by jonnyBgood

I have had all three lenses.

I'm not a big fan of Polarized lenses for riding. I believe the reasoning for Polarized is to help pull the glare off of water/snow. I'm not the expert by any means but for me they give me a Headache. Especially if I have them on when driving. I have dark tinted windows and for whatever reason that really gives me a Headache.

As for the Photochromic lenses these have been my favorite by far you the last several years. Help when it is super sunny and change when the sun goes down so there is no need to change lenses.

I have had the new Prizm for a couple weeks and they too have been great but need some more time to see if they are better than the Photochromic in my opinion.

Just my 2 cents...

davidalone

by davidalone

I tried the prizms recently. while nice, they aren't exactly game changing. a good quality of lenses will get you comparable performance. photochromatic lenses are certainly very useful.

If you're willing to try aftermarket lenses, revant makes very good stuff. not as good as the oakleys, but 90% there at half the cost.

geedawg

by geedawg

I've had all 3 as well. Polarized doesn't do much for me in the road. I wear my photochromic lenses 90% of the time just because I don't have to think of the conditions outside, even if pitch dark. The prizm are nice though and would recommend them if you are not riding in darker hours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

Bought some prizm radarlock path replacement lenses. they looked good, but for some reason does not fit well with the existing nosepiece. the nosepiece is slightly off. when i pop in my original lenses, they work and fit like perfectly.

anyone else had problems with the fit of oakley replacement prizm lenses versus the lenses that originally came with your radarlocks?

glepore

by glepore

My favorite lens is actually not mentioned here-the g30. Its just the right tint for almost all conditions from overcast to bright sun. Much like the Prism in color, but polarized.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

aaric

by aaric

I've got Photochromic, clear, and polarized Oakley lenses:

1) Photochromic works almost all the time. Only on very bright days or night/rain do I pull out my other lenses. For commutes, they can't be beat.

2) Clear is better than photochromic for night / inclement weather, but not by a huge amount.

3) Polarized work well for Bright day rides.

wingguy wrote:Why do drivers need to know where you're looking unless they want to pull out in front of you and bet that you'll brake in time to avoid them?

I don't think its so much as them seeing where you are looking. I think its more that when you make eye contact, they can't help but view you as a human instead of some strange shiny lycra clad cyborg ;)

Jmdesignz2

by Jmdesignz2

Not sure about Oakley - too expensive for me

But photochromic is all I use - however, I MTB so my lens has to deal with dark singletrack and bright meadows/peaks

keith

by keith

I wear my Photochromic 90% of the time on the road. Ok for me in the brightest light and work 'OK' just about after dark. They're prescription so I can't see too well without them! I have completely clear prescription lens I can swap out, mainly for rock-climbing, but they work well on dull winter days / evenings on the bike too as eye protection.

FWIW I use polarised lenses sea kayaking, it really does help reduce the glare.
Riding my road bikes around Eryri

http://www.strava.com/athletes/keith_robertson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

geedawg

by geedawg

I have multiples of all 3 lenses too. I don't find I need the polarized lenses for road riding. They are great when I'm out on the water or at the beach, but that's really the only time I find myself wearing my polarized lenses. Photochromic has been great, as much of the time my rides after work end up in the dark. I wear these most of the year. In the summer, when I know my rides will be in the day, I have really been liking the Road Prizm lens. They give a great contrast boost and are easy on my eyes too, with no eye fatigue I get with some of Oakley's lens tints (I can't do Fire Iridium for too long, it gives me a headache and I feel the eyestrain).

awjpca

by awjpca

I have some Oakley OO red iridium polarized on some Half-Jacket XLJ and I love the lenses. Perhaps it's because they were fine tuned for road riding. They really seem to enhance contrast and make the colors seem exciting, but not oversaturated. I get almost no eye fatigue as well. The only issue is just that my sunglasses aren't vented so they fog in certain conditions.

The lens doesn't seem to be offered by Oakley anymore though. :/ Maybe try to pick it up off a 3rd party retailer?

toiyuet

by toiyuet

I have three Photochromic lens and they work best.

Don't buy the Polarized lans, I have three in my collection, the Polarized layer either cracked and / or peeled off from the lens body.

awjpca

by awjpca

awjpca wrote:I have some Oakley OO red iridium polarized on some Half-Jacket XLJ and I love the lenses. Perhaps it's because they were fine tuned for road riding. They really seem to enhance contrast and make the colors seem exciting, but not oversaturated. I get almost no eye fatigue as well. The only issue is just that my sunglasses aren't vented so they fog in certain conditions.

The lens doesn't seem to be offered by Oakley anymore though. :/ Maybe try to pick it up off a 3rd party retailer?

Just had another look at the Oakley website, and they do have oo red iridium polarized for the jawbreakers, radar ev, and radarlocks. They also have replacement lenses in most of the sport line if anyone wants to try just the lens.

That said, I'll be picking up some black iridium photochromatic radarlocks because I ride alot at dawn and dusk. Haven't tried them yet so hopefully they'll work.

Good luck to OP in finding the right lens.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com