Force 22 - removable spider / swap between 110BCD and 130BCD

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

torob

by torob

I have a Force 22 groupset on order - after running the gear calculations and looking (realistically) at my fitness level, I ended up ordering a compact crankset (110BCD) which will be a move from my current standard crankset and 53/39 rings.

Now, after reading how p2max power meters are installed: "With Type S you can now upgrade your current SRAM S900, Force22 and Rival22 cranks to riding with power. Simply remove the crank spider, install Type S and you are good to go!" (click here), I'm wondering if down the road I could buy a SRAM 130BCD spider in the event I wanted to switch back to standard chainrings.

Anyone know if that's a possibility? Seems like something that would've received a bit of press about, had it been possible. Perhaps buying the 130BCD spider from SRAM is either impossible or prohibitively expensive :noidea: .
Using Tapatalk

topflightpro

by topflightpro

It certainly seems like something you should be able to do. I just don't know if Sram will sell just the spider.

I have both the standard and compact spiders for my Hollowgram cranks and have switched them on occasion.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

Check on ebay. For an experiment, I was able to mount a MTB 4-bolt spider to my Force 22 crank. Taking off the original spider was easy.

grover

by grover

Easily swapped. 3 T25 bolts. Replacement spider is ~$40.

torob

by torob

Thanks all. @grover - that's really great news! Where would one pick up the replacement spider? I haven't had luck searching online. Is it an LBS special order?
Using Tapatalk

MileHighMark

by MileHighMark

The MY15 spare parts catalog lists:

11.6115.547.000 Spider S900 130BCD 10Speed Blast Black
11.6115.547.010 Spider S950 110BCD 10Speed Blast Black

All other spiders were for MTB cranks.
GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

grover

by grover

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... r&_sacat=0

Note that there are two versions. One that aligns a spider arm opposite the crank arm, and one that aligns the spider arm behind the crankarm (hidden bolt). Force22 come with the hidden bolt version. But the non-hidden bolt version fits and means you can change chainrings without having to remove the spider. The other consideration is that chainrings must have the outside chain drop pin in the correct place for whichever spider you use. Force22/Red22 rings are available in either hidden bolt or unhidden orientation for that pin. Most other rings are only available with unhidden orientation. Therefore using the spider with the unhidden bolt opens up other chainrings options too.

R314

by R314

Hey.

I've been planning to convert my Force22 53-39 (130BCD hidden bolt) to 52-36 (110BCD non-hidden bolt) using an S900 spider and some Red22 chainrings based on this https://www.bikehugger.com/posts/cure-c ... onversion/ article. However, as I dry fitted the spider and the rings the outer doesn't sit flush with the lips on spider. It seems the Red22 rings are thicker than S900s. Do you think this would work or it will compromise the chainline and the front mech geometry? The inner ring fit just right.

Image Image Image Image

Marin

by Marin

I'd say the inside flange determines the chainline, the outside is cosmetic.

grover

by grover

Just aesthetic. It'll work great.

R314

by R314

Thanks guys. Will swap it as soon as I have enough strength to undo crank bolts. Still recovering from a hernia repair. :cry:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com