SRAM 1X Road

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CamW

by CamW

Well apparently 1X Sram Road Group(s) is an actual thing. Not surprised but not sure how I feel about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcMYHVAPjQQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nickcube

by nickcube

Surprised they didn't offer any new(not that I've seen) cassette options, like a 10-28. I was hoping for a little bit more from this though, but eh, oh well

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

1X doesn't provide enough gears for me when riding an MTB (yes I'm one of those old fashioned guys that rides up as well as down trails), and in it's current iteration certainly doesn't appeal for road use. But I guess it depends on the terrain you ride.

Could be very attractive to the TT community.
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

voodoojar

by voodoojar

I've been running my using my CX1 group a lot more lately on my gravel/touring bike. With a 46t chainring and 11-36 cassette it seems to be working pretty well for me.

eliflap-scalpel

by eliflap-scalpel

with 42 , 44 or 46T at front and 11-36 at rear , i did a lot of km ...

and the number of teeth of the front ring grows up as fast as you get fit
http://eliflap.it/

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I can see myself using something like this on a road bike, but certainly not my main ride. Simple and light with a 48T or 50T front and an 11-28 cassette in the back (no hills where I live).

djconnel

by djconnel

I'm a big fan and would certainly use it on my climbing bike. The clutch rear derailleur is a boat anchor though (+83 grams). I'd stick with a more weenie-friendly derailleur and risk chain slap. Also a replacement spider for my Lightning crank to put the chainline correct would be nice.

mattr

by mattr

Does the rear mech have the new SRAM geometry? With the massively offset top jockey?

May (?) struggle to find an alternative.

afraptor22

by afraptor22

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/s ... ets-43808/

New version of the Force1/CX1 rear derailleur that works with the 10-42 cassettes...wow.

bigfatty

by bigfatty

I have been running a standard xt rear mech (without clutch) and a raceface narrow/wide chainring on a mountain bike. Never a dropped chain in 1 year.
surely a clutch is not necessary on a roadie.however, I am running 11-32 on a 34t chain ring so my chain is nowhere as long as a 42t cassette needs.

djconnel

by djconnel

But since the new system uses "straight parallelogram" instead of "dual parallelogram" if you eliminate all the clutch stuff it seems it should be possible to built a lighter derailleur with this system. The derailleur faces a less challenging task. No need to take up arbitrary amounts of chain slack. Effective chain length in a given derailleur position is always the same. But it seems like there's a lot of extra beef here.

ImageImage

bigfatty

by bigfatty

the extra beef is so they can release just a normal mech as the RED version, ch-ching =)

kgibbo1868

by kgibbo1868

I wonder if the red version will be a wireless RD that is lighter? With the very wide range in the cassette this might appeal to more people than I originally thought. This will at least remove the "strange" method used to shift chain rings with the wireless system.
2019 Baum Ristretto
Pain is my friend!

kgibbo1868

by kgibbo1868

I looked at the numbers a bit closer, and assuming an 11sp rear 10-33 (not actually sure what will be avail but the video says 10-42 will be) and a 50 T ring on the front:

50x10@100rpm=63.1 km/hr
50x33@60rpm=11.5 km/hr

BUT there will be some pretty big jumps between gears.... For a 10-33 it might look like 10-12-14-16-18-20-22-24-27-30-33 mmmmmmmmm....... :?
2019 Baum Ristretto
Pain is my friend!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

deek

by deek

djconnel wrote:But since the new system uses "straight parallelogram" instead of "dual parallelogram" if you eliminate all the clutch stuff it seems it should be possible to built a lighter derailleur with this system. The derailleur faces a less challenging task. No need to take up arbitrary amounts of chain slack. Effective chain length in a given derailleur position is always the same. But it seems like there's a lot of extra beef here.

Definitely a lot of extra beef. It's literally an XX1 RD with a different cage and a barrel adjuster instead of the Rollamajig. Notice how it even still has the hole for the cable housing to enter on the XX1 version.