Svelte straight carbon fork for steel frame

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Been looking around for a standard 1.125in carbon fork for a Columbus Spirit frame. To complement the thin tubes (by modern standards anyway) I'm after a carbon fork that is modern, but not too beefy in appearance. If price wasn't extreme, that'd be nice too (Enve 1.0 is surely great, but also costly, particularly in the EU, 2.0 still quite dear). I'd really like to try a straight legged fork, that limits choice a bit. Full carbon preferred. Easton EC90SL straight can sometimes be found still. Columbus Tusk straight might be bordering on too bold for the frame already. Any more recommendations?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric

by eric

Ritchey WCS has small diameter legs and is light, but isn't straight.

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

If you are mentionning Columbus Tusk, which is not straight, why not the Columbus Minimal, that is supposed to be their fork designed for classic steel bike?

You seem to be right, Edge is almost the only answer, may find a good opportunity on 2nd hand or sale.

Tenlegs

by Tenlegs

ITM forks might fit the bill, reasonable price and weight ?

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/pp/road-t ... d/italforr

HillRPete

by HillRPete

SSG: There's a straight legged variant for the Tusk: http://www.columbustubi.com/eng/4_2_5.htm

For the ITM, I'm not seeing any straight legged model, right?

3T forks are a bit beefier around the crown, aren't they?

Tenlegs

by Tenlegs

Enigma do their own straight legged fork, C-Six that they use on their Ti and steel bikes, similar in shape to Enve 2 for £230

http://www.enigmabikes.com/collections/ ... tron-forks

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

HillRPete wrote:SSG: There's a straight legged variant for the Tusk: http://www.columbustubi.com/eng/4_2_5.htm

For the ITM, I'm not seeing any straight legged model, right?

3T forks are a bit beefier around the crown, aren't they?

Oops, didn't see Tusk straight.

I was about to suggest 3T Rigida but it looks bulky indeed around the crown.

I like the Canyon one one eight but might be difficult to find.

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

Not the lightest, and not full carbon, but the wound up would look at home: http://woundupcomposites.com/road-x-car ... composites

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

^ this. The wound up would look sick....

gravity

by gravity

Check out Dedacciai F14 fork.

Is your Spirit down tube a 38mm diameter? What headtube diameter are you using? I have a Tusk Straight fork and the circumference at the top of the fork leg is 14cm. You might want to measure the headtube and headset lower cup circumferences to know whether or not this combination would look fine on your bike.

I was in the same situation as you a couple weeks ago where I was looking for a 1 1/8 - 1 1/4 fork to fit to my CK Inset8 headset and 44mm headtube. I ended up getting the Enve 2.0 fork because it's not worth to have a new bike with funny looking proportion. Good luck with your build!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I actually have an Alpha Q fork that is new, purchased about 10 years ago for a steel frame I built at that time but never got around to building it up completely. The fork is in brand new condition, has never been installed, and the steertube has never been cut. I'll post some pics if you like tomorrow. How large a frame is this going on and do you know it's geometry, specifically the headtube angle?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Juan: nice build, don't get me wrong, this is exactly the look i want to avoid. The fork is so beefy around the crown.

Maybe I should just use the Look HSC2 fork I have on stash, with steerer shims to adapto to 1.125in. This one looks really subtle.

Sample pic for someone's flickr:
ImageSOLD! LOOK KG 292 Titanium by mrjohan, on Flickr