Specialized Allez rear brake friction

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

GorrGrimWolf

by GorrGrimWolf

Hi Guys,

I have recently bought a brand new S-Works Allez frame and I cannot set-up the rear brake properly. The feel in the brake lever is spongy and not even close to the feel of the second lever.

I have used sheaths on exit & entry, but I can still feel how the cable is touching the TT when pressing the lever. Also there is also a LOT of rattling in the TT on the bad surface. Has someone experience this? I was thinking of running cable liner inside the top tube, but clearly this cannot be the way how Specialized has designed this...

Thanks for your suggestions.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

marcelflash

by marcelflash

The frames and bikes come with a foam liner 1 cm thick witch works against rattling. For me it was not working so I have put a sponge in the top tube witch fills the whole tube and stops the rattling.
Also grind the end of your outher brake cable flat for a less spongy feeling and use ferrules long enough to go beyond the cablestopper.

natefontaine

by natefontaine

I am not sure if the S-works is different than the E5, but my E5 required full length cable housing. I had the same problem until I went full length, now there is no difference between in feel from left to right.

GorrGrimWolf

by GorrGrimWolf

I have used the sheaths on both entry & exit, also a ferrule on the exit. I have tried the ferrule for hole entering the frame and it just doesn't fit. There is no plastic piece to be mounted on the entry hole, correct?

Still the feel isnt as smooth as the front brake. But definitely better.

natefontaine: How are you running full cable housing? You cannot put cable housing through the entry hole on mine. Maybe E5 is different to S-Works?

natefontaine

by natefontaine

The cable housing just fit through. If it doesn't, I would just drill out the stop on both sides and run full length housing. Don't forget to add some of the foam around the cable housing internally or you'll have rattles. I used the full length that came with.

Ashepp

by Ashepp

I have an S-Works allez and the rear brake is set up just fine. I run a whole section of outer through the frame, then used the supplied foam tube and cut it to length to prevent rattling, it works perfectly.

upside

by upside

I also did the same and no problems. Took me awhile to figure it out though....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

newforker

by newforker

I find with my Allez the rear cable housing can move forward in the frame...then it rubs against the seat post collar, and definitely feels like shit when it does..

This only applies if your Allez runs the housing entirely through the frame!