Recent Di2 issues in the pro peleton

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bigfatty

by bigfatty

Just curious, are we (/we are) seeing a lot of Di2 fails in the Pro Peleton?. Please add to the list or clarify if you have any information.

1 & 2: Cavendish, that crash he caused about a month ago, then a second failure shortly after also if I remember correctly.

3:He said Boonen was having problems with Di2 and was cause of his crash?

4:Sagan in Roubaix, something up with his left lever.

5:Simon Spilak in the TT of Pais Vasco.

and then Luco Paolini wining E3 on mechanical.

There are probably more and some of these may not be fails?

This is not a thread for mech vs elec, I'm just trying to get a clearer view on all these incidents.

mimason

by mimason

^ why are you bringing up E3 win on mechanical then?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nejmann

by Nejmann

I read somewhere that cavendishs problem was something with the fsa cranks? But dunno. Problems happens all the time. Didn't think there was any problems last year? So maybe bad luck?

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Dropped chain for cav.. I've dropped chains on mechanical too
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

jimborello

by jimborello

I think Sagan was blaming his shifter for his lack of form...

Rondje

by Rondje

I'm not sure if its really a Di2 issue, the first 3 all ride a Specialized and use Shimano for the firs time this year, also all of them use a different crankset from what I recall (definitely the Quickstep guys using FSA). Might be more of a compatibility/FSA problem then just Di2.
Sagan apparently had a broken shifter.

bigfatty

by bigfatty

why E3? well if electric was working for him 100%, I dont think he would choose mechanical

it is strange that it seems the last few years, there was never any problems and now we have these examples in such a short space of time.

djwalker

by djwalker

Why does anyone care other than for DI2 bashing? In any case the question should be stated "recent DI2 problems due solely to the group being DI2". Things like shifters broken in a crash, losing chains because of misadjustment, etc. have nothing to do with the group being DI2.

tinozee

by tinozee

Cav had issues with Sram too, I read somewhere he likes dura ace, there was some quote about it. There is a great full page Specialized ad from when he was on OPQS and Sram that shows him crossing the finish and you can see his chain is off the ring flapping in the breeze. I want to know if Sagan hates his new bikes. I sort of thought so watching tons of racing this season, he doesn't look to psyched on it. It looked sort of funny to see him on a roubaix. His form seems not great to the announcers, but that is hard to tell without looking at data. Those announcers love to say that about any favorite who is not getting firsts. Strategy and equipment, and mental form/confidence are huge factors too. He has pressure on him like noone else, and no support when he's doing his thing alone out front.

Personally I think DA is great, all the groups at the top level are sweet really. And they all can fail. I can see why some guys choose electric and others mechanical, just preference. Imagine putting your faith in wireless or hydraulic setups!

bfno

by bfno

Wasn't Spilaks a fault in the tensioning of the crank, causing the arms to not be at 180 degrees to each other. Not Di2 fault IMO.
Venge | Shiv TT | Langster | Dogma 60.1 | CruX | Aeroad CF SLX (WIP)

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Mark Cavendish = the new Tyler Farrar. The desperation of 'Yesterday's Men' translates into crashes and slipped chains.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

That's it. I'm tossing all my di2 stuff. Back to mechanical for me. Those pros always make the right equipment choices for the right reasons. I'm sure of it...........

glepore

by glepore

Oh please... I spent the bulk of a ride Saturday helping a mate who's shop mech set up DI2 with no slack in the cable to either lever and semi loose brifter clamps. A few bumps and no rd, then later no fd. Thats what happened to Sagan.

Cav is back on DA cranks. Why? Because its a friggen system that works great when it works, and not so great when you do non engineered stuff with it. I'm not suggesting that that is a positive improvement-nor am I happy with the direction of the firmware, but it is what it is, and it works unbelievably well if left alone.

Schleck dropped an career and a Tour on a mechanical bad shift.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

sm4100

by sm4100

I beat the heck out of my cyclocross with Di2. Even some hard mtb trails I have done with it where I can even get some screws loose on the bike but absolutely nothing wrong with the group, not a single chain drop or any electronic failure so I doubt these have anything to do with Di2 or mechanical. Most likely rider's excuse.

sharkman

by sharkman

The only issue with di2 is that it is reliable as long as the bike is in good state, regarding the serious number of crashes in the pro peloton and the fact that Di2 (and eps) fail/shut off after a hard hit I think you have the reason (tolerances are smaller compared to mechanical than often keeps working even though things aren't perfect.
Furthermore di2 demands a skilled install and seen the state that more than a few pro team bikes are in when sold I think that a few mechanics are less than talented and failure is no questions of Di2 but more of a lack of competence of the builder.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com