Recent Di2 issues in the pro peleton

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

bad actors! the whole bunch of them
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

goodboyr

by goodboyr

I think it's called "confirmation bias" actually.

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

We all are adults here, and I'm sure we have enough experience to tell if someone is honest or not.

If not, we can go basics of internet; like from, don't believe everything you read or see to people do sh*t for money.

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

glepore wrote:And one of those changes was because he broke his fork in half.

I don't know that there has been an increase in failures-Sagan was likely his hoods slipping on the cobbles pulling an overly tight wire out, Cav's a bad combo of chainrings and full force electric shifting, etc. Highly visible? yes, but its early season and harsh conditions.

And as much as I like Di2, I don't really think that micro adjust is something you do on the fly under race conditions. And there should be no need to.

So Sagan potentially lost any chance due to the use of electronic, rather than mechanical shifting. If a pro is now looking at his bike, what gains are there from electronic that offset this risk? Open question - is it weight, shifting speed, ease, energy saving?

de zwarten

by de zwarten

This could have been a nice discussion!

Anyway, here is my take (no experience with DI2, except in a shop on a stationary bike):

DI2 shifts faster and with less effort, is easier to mount, and once installed, keeps shifting very well.
DI2 can give faults after a crash, that do not necessarily occur with mechanical shifting.

Mechanical shifting does not give any competitive disadvantage. Once set up well, there is almost no FD trimming needed.
When mechanics get out of the window to adjust the RD or brake, they mostly do that to push the rider and get him back in the peloton.

People (me included) will generally prefer DI2 over mechanical, because it looks slick, feels better and requires less effort to shift.
Pro's will probably prefer it for the same reasons, and mechanics because it is easier to install and maintain.
Once a pro has a bad experience with it, he will probably have a different opinion.

That's it.

beswiss

by beswiss

tymon_tm wrote:I can't remember a similar series of 'misfortunes' before electronic groupsets - but maybe my memory doesn't serve me well, so I welcome any corrections.

Tom Boonen years ago when he was still a sprinter, having his chain issues in multiple sprints in the tour de France. Not sure on which groupset it was, but it was pre-electronic times and they were complaining about it a lot...
C'dale SuperSix Evo Sram Red, Cube Agree GTC Race SL, Granville MTB XT

de zwarten

by de zwarten

The Tom Boonen case was on Campa record somewhere around 2007-2008, and it had to do with stiffness in crank/frame (Time ...) combo.
So from my memory, nothing to do with differences in electronics/mechanical groups, just a combo that was not stiff enough for Boonen's power.

Regarding chains falling off, this can happen with both systems.
But on the rare occasion when your chain derails on DI2, it's hard or sometimes impossible to get it back on the front ring.

See Kevin Pauwels in CX, it has cost him several placings or even wins.
(but this could probably cause as much time loss in some occasions with a mechanical group)

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

^I also recall Boonen had some 'general bike issues', stiffness being one of them. probably same had Cancellara, who used to ride on FSA Gossamer alu cranks instead of K-something carbons.

the frame or wheel issues seem to be long gone now. even Bianchis don't wobble anymore (or do they?). the Di2 seems to fill this niche pretty well, but there's an obvious flipside to that coin, being the fact pro bikes are exposed to some mean treatment and it's sort of natural or at least predictable for failures that regular folk won't ever experience to occur.

re: Sagan. he wrote somewhere he had to 'use the toilette' before the final kms, so that may explain his nearly theatrical frustration when a mechanical happened
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

Raceradio tweeted this during race
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429288463.518878.jpg
Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270

ALS

by ALS

I would think a good indication is those teams that buy their own equipment. In last year or that would be Garmin, Tinkoff, Etixx, (Bora & MTN possibly). In each case they're on di2. I'm sure that's not a coincidence.

Even though i don't personally like e shifting it's hard to imagine DI2 is not being the preffered group in the peloton (although I guess that supply and or price might be a factor)

bigfatty

by bigfatty

looks like another shit day for di2 with Ilnur Zakarin suffering. at 1.55/1.56 ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCIFokHJOpU#t=116 ) you can clearly see the chain is still on with small chainring/large casstte. maybe the battery died on him in the wet and could no longer change?

just sayin :popcorn:

JasperGr

by JasperGr

I think the chain slipped between the two chain rings, because you see the chain is stuck.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

bigfatty wrote:looks like another shit day for di2 with Ilnur Zakarin suffering. at 1.55/1.56 ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCIFokHJOpU#t=116 ) you can clearly see the chain is still on with small chainring/large casstte. maybe the battery died on him in the wet and could no longer change?

just sayin :popcorn:

Wow.........from a youtube video, you can diagnose and determine exactly what is wrong...........you are one amazing guy, bigfatty!

grouk

by grouk

the chain is clearly stuck between the two chainrings

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

goodboyr

by goodboyr

My point is that this could be a mechanics poor setup, damage, etc. The implied conclusion was that it was a di2 problem.