Recent Di2 issues in the pro peleton

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Still, that's the biggest issue when something goes wrong with your e-shifting. Dead! Clap clap, help me! My chain's fallen and it can't get up!
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AndreLM

by AndreLM

Yeah... That is completely different from a mechanical FD with a broken cable...

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Here we go again......
Them young whippersnappers and their new fangled gizmos..........

martinko

by martinko

AndreLM wrote:Yeah... That is completely different from a mechanical FD with a broken cable...

Yes, because the chain drops to the lower chainring and you can still pedal.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

A broken cable should never happen at that level because it's an easy visual to pick out during routine mechanical inspections. No, a broken cable comparison doesn't cut it.
And in fairness, ability to pedal on the small chainring only doesn't cut it either; it's a time trial. And because it's a time trial, I would actually prefer to have electric shifting and satellite shifters in both positions, but it still really sucks if it stops working or jams. At least you have a spare bike right behind you (at that level).
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

bigfatty

by bigfatty

definitely looks like di2 was the cause of problem.
he was cross chaining it up the rise with 53-28, I hardly think as it leveled out he would be thinking of dropping down to the 39 tooth chainring. It seems as the shifter automagically dropped it down for him. I imagine because it was cross chained and it was trying to stop chain rub so it moved th fd cage in, but this time just a little too far.

glepore

by glepore

It doesn't "try to stop chain rub" when cross chained. It only trims once in the middle of the cassette.

I suspect this was a chainline issue that only revealed itself under heavy load, causing the chain to derail. Just a wag, but it makes more sense than an electronic failure.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

goodboyr

by goodboyr

bigfatty wrote:definitely looks like di2 was the cause of problem.
he was cross chaining it up the rise with 53-28, I hardly think as it leveled out he would be thinking of dropping down to the 39 tooth chainring. It seems as the shifter automagically dropped it down for him. I imagine because it was cross chained and it was trying to stop chain rub so it moved th fd cage in, but this time just a little too far.

Once again, awesome YouTube diagnosis.

bigfatty

by bigfatty

glepore wrote:It doesn't "try to stop chain rub" when cross chained. It only trims once in the middle of the cassette.

Shimano say: Precision actuators move the cage swiftly and smoothly for fast, silent, accurate front shifts every time. And with single-wire E-tube connection to the rest of the system, the front derailleur is able to automatically trim itself as you shift the rear derailleur, eliminating chain rub.

like this picture implies: Image

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Chain rub against the derailleur. Only. Period.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Auto trim is not going to send the chain to the inner ring.. It's BS . I run cross chained all the time .. 50/28.. Even 30 with other cassette.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

goodboyr

by goodboyr

bigfatty wrote:
glepore wrote:It doesn't "try to stop chain rub" when cross chained. It only trims once in the middle of the cassette.

Shimano say: Precision actuators move the cage swiftly and smoothly for fast, silent, accurate front shifts every time. And with single-wire E-tube connection to the rest of the system, the front derailleur is able to automatically trim itself as you shift the rear derailleur, eliminating chain rub.

like this picture implies: Image

There are two facts I am confident of:

1. You clearly have an agenda.
2. You have no personal experience with the system you have an agenda on.

glepore

by glepore

Agreed. I ride in my52/28 way more than i should with nada issues. Had nothing to do with di2.

I don't know about agendas, but i'll by drinks for anyone that has ever had autotrim derail a chain.

Didn't think so. Di2 isn't perfect but this isnt an issue.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

bigfatty

by bigfatty

agenda?
just sayin' it as I see it, every week their is a fault in the pro peloton that needs a bike swap, that is running Di2.

these faults were never so prevalent before and it is only happening to di2 equipped bikes.

this is not happening with mechanical systems. in fact when faults did happen in the good ole days of mechanical systems, it was so rare , people talked about it for years, ie: schleck.

bigfatty

by bigfatty

and yes, I did use it once, all but briefly.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com