S-Works crankset BB86.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Jhomewood

by Jhomewood

Good evening fellowship of the weenies.

So, I have a question for you all. I have a good stock of S-Works cranks with power meters. However, I have decided that I actually don't want to run a Specialized bike this year, so, I am looking at a Neilpryde.

However, it has BB86, which is 18.5mm wider, so I am considering getting this made but 18.5mm thick so I can get the S-Works cranks to fit:

Question is, has anyone heard of anyone doing this before? Or is there something available?

Other question is, with fair wheel bikes data saying the S-Works crank is one of the best on the market in terms of performance, I wonder if there would be extended interest in this as a product to sell?

Peace and love,
Dr. J. Qwan.

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

J, I've not seen this done with S-works cranks, but Lightning does one that adapts their mtb crank from a 68 to 73mm.

One reason the S-works crank does so well in testing is because of the shorter spindle. A longer spindle will have more nds deflection and will also be heavier, both of which will detract from the cranks results in testing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jhomewood

by Jhomewood

Excellent points, I checked the lightning website for such a thing but then realized they're a different interface.

I am hoping to be able to continue using these cranks without having to sell and buy power meters on top of getting the new cranks.

Hopefully it is viable.

madcow wrote:J, I've not seen this done with S-works cranks, but Lightning does one that adapts their mtb crank from a 68 to 73mm.

One reason the S-works crank does so well in testing is because of the shorter spindle. A longer spindle will have more nds deflection and will also be heavier, both of which will detract from the cranks results in testing.

stormur

by stormur

Are ytou absolutely sure about BB86 & NeilPryde ???

I have 1 ( FS BTW ) , it's PF30 … like ALL the rest of NP bikes :smartass:
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

Jhomewood

by Jhomewood

stormur wrote:Are ytou absolutely sure about BB86 & NeilPryde ???

I have 1 ( FS BTW ) , it's PF30 … like ALL the rest of NP bikes :smartass:

Sadly, yes. The Nazare2 is PF86, I had a BuraSL which was PF30 and made some adapters to make the S-Works work.
http://www.neilprydebikes.com/bikes/naz ... nents.html

What frame are you selling?

Qman

by Qman

The standard center of bike to center of chainrings dimension is 43.5mm for road bikes. I don't know if that is true for a BB86, but I would assume so. If you put in a 18.5mm spacer then you've moved your chainrings out by 9.25mm. This could cause some issues with your chainline. The only way to remedy this would be to make a new spider that has a different offset for the chainrings. Lots of work!

TwiggyTN

by TwiggyTN

Oh, just go with the Specialized bro! [emoji13]

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

Racer7

by Racer7

hi where i can buy this adapter?
~NEVER GIVE UP~

CXTony

by CXTony

In addition to the chainring offset issue, the cranks are designed for the q-factor of a PF30 bike - adapting them wider will also push the pedals out further from the bike....

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

CX and the Qman have nailed it. It's a very bad idea.

In addition to the poor chainline issue, there's no FD that would adjust far enough out to be workable.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Tenlegs

by Tenlegs

Another issue is BB86 was designed for 24mm spindles(Hollowtech, GPX) not 30mm Ø

grid256

by grid256

The Specialized crank is great. But only in pure BB30 and OSBB and NOT PF30. It will not work in PF30. And oh have I tried. (with an SRM for reference)

damond

by damond

Hello all,

That spacer on the first post was made by me. I belive you found it at mtbr forum right?

At the time i made it so that i could use my s-works cranks on a BB92 mtb frame. I needed a 5mm spacer. It was tight but worked, it won't in your case because the spacer you need is too wide and the stock bolt won't tighten properly. The only solution would be to also replace the stock bolt for a longer one.

Having that said i never managed to ride it althought it was assembled and worked. The spacer i made was made with aluminium and didn't look solid enought to me to put my watts in. Anyway, i can help you with some info and pictures i made at the time, feel free to pm me if you need.

Cheers

David

EDIT: just realized the age of this thread. Info is still up for anyone to grab if needed.

brerrabbit

by brerrabbit

grid256 wrote:The Specialized crank is great. But only in pure BB30 and OSBB and NOT PF30. It will not work in PF30. And oh have I tried. (with an SRM for reference)

oh man I didn't want to hear that. I've got a PF30 frame showing up in a few weeks. My plan was to move my Specialized OSBB cranks (SRM spider) over to the new frame. Tell me it ain't so!

Jhomewood

by Jhomewood

it can be done, i made some custom BB cups, the tolerance is crazy tight though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com