20.5mm rim, 21-23mm tyres?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

PLuKE

by PLuKE

I am after some advice...

I have some deep section wheels that are 20.5mm rim width.

I currently have some 23mm Ultremo ZX tyres.

Looking now at Vittora Open CX, in 21mm as that's as close to the rim width which from what I have been reading is the most aero 21mm tyre for a 20.5mm rim.

I thought 21mm is narrow, but as the Vittora are 320 TPI they should add comfort and the speed?

Thanks for the advice

Luke

LouisN

by LouisN

I had FFWD rims that were 20.5 mm wide.
They were fine with Corsa CX 23 mm, but the best "fit" was with my Veloflex Corsa 22mm.

NOTE: I'm talking tubulars here ;) ...

Louis :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric

by eric

If you're only riding in straight lines on good pavement, 21mm clinchers are fine.

PLuKE

by PLuKE

My riding is pretty flat, but some of the roads here are good, but there as some rough tarmac roads too.

My Ultremo ZX 23c have been great for 1700 miles.

I am guessing I wouldn't see any benefit moving to 21c?

Luke

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

No, you wouldn't. The 21's will be a harsh ride any way you slice it. You don't say how much you weigh but even a lightish rider would have to ride 21's at fairly high pressure. Stick to the 23's. Even if the roads are perfectly smooth, like Eric implied above, they will leave a lot to be desired in turns, and I'm sure you don't go in a straight line all the time.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

PLuKE

by PLuKE

Thanks, just looking for something a little extra in speed.

I am around 70-71kg. I do have a few corners, but most of the roads here are flat, so no fast descents with high speed cornering.

Luke

Marin

by Marin

Get 23mm Vittorias, they will be faster and much smoother than the Schwalbes.

Slagter

by Slagter

I've done the majority of my rides on 20 mm Kinlin XR19W rims with 25 mm tires. No problems there. I even find cornering better and safer than with 23 mm tires on these rims.

kgt

by kgt

+1
Please ignore the marketing BS about "rim and tire diameter match" and use a proper 23mm tire. They would begive you a much better ride.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

23mm or 25mm tyres every time. I have 30mm tyres on one bike and feel just like race tyres znd are no slower even a 60psi. So If you can run 25mm tyre do so gripand comfort is improved.

ScuderiaDouroux

by ScuderiaDouroux

I have 20mm wheels and use 22mm Vittoria Open Corsa slicks. The ride at 125psi is only the slightest bit more jarring than 23mm tires at 120psi and I'm no lightweight. The fit is perfect (smooth transition from tire to rim) and they handle just as well if not better than 23mm tires on fast corners.
Long live the horizontal top tube, standard crankset, and Italian threaded bottom bracket.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com