Speedplay Zero Aero walkable cleats mini review

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

superdx

by superdx

Got these about two weeks ago, and finally got a chance to use them today. They're basically the same idea as Keep-on Kovers that have been floating around while now, but significantly less bulky, and the cleat has been trimmed to keep everything minimal.

Pros:
- You can walk in them! The additional screw on plugs are nice but seems mostly unnecessary as the aero cover does a pretty good job of keeping the cleats away from the ground. Maybe if you end up walking in grass or mud? But for me, no more carrying around the coffee shop covers in my jersey since I'm mostly on pavement.

- Lighter than v2 cleats, by about 8g on each cleat than the v2 cleats. Not too scientific as I just threw them on a kitchen scale, and my old v2s were pretty worn down already. The metal plates had mostly grinded off.

- Aero covers are supposed to be more aero but I didn't really feel it. Maybe they have to be paired with the aero pedals (not released yet) to get full benefit?

Cons (sigh):
- The screw on plugs fall out, which is surprising because they do fit tightly. I suspect that the flex in the plastic cleat cover makes the screw-on cover just pop-out. I've already lost one, just doing some warm up stretches pre-ride.

- The cleat cover falls off SIGH (5 times total, both feet). For the first 2 hours or so with constant unclipping, no problems at all, aero covers stayed on no problem. But by the third hour, my right aero cover had fallen off, luckily was above to find it again. The grinding feeling from the exposed cleat is crazy, it feels like your cleats are going to explode. Then the left one fell off 4 times consecutively going down some stairs.

- I guess I'm going to need to use some JB weld to keep these things on, should be a workable solution as long as you stay away from the 4 mounting screws. There's lot of nooks and crannies that aren't anywhere near the mounting screws.

- Hopefully the aero covers don't wear too fast, but it seems like they're going to grind down pretty quickly (pics below, just 2 medium rides in), but I guess a better solution than trying to remove worn down screws from v2 cleats.

Thoughts:
- I do like them, and being able to walk around without sliding over smooth surfaces is very welcome. They're slightly lighter and supposedly more aero so that's a good thing. Hopefully a bit of JB weld on the corners of the cleat will be enough to keep them on for at least a year. They clip on the same just like the v2 cleats, so good news there.

- They're pretty much just like Keep-on Kovers, so if you just bought a fresh pair of v2 cleats, I think those do exactly the same thing. But Kovers also have a problem of falling off. Epoxy/JB weld is needed for those too, but more dangerous as the only places you can put the glue is around the screws. Trying to unscrew a JB-welded screw is probably going to require power tools or a lot of patience with a sharp chisel.

- Will keep them, and hopefully the JB weld solves the problem of the aero cover coming off. I also won't be using the plugs for the forseeable future. They don't help when walking, and their only purpose is to keep cleats away from dirt and dust while you walk, and (SIGH) they fall off too.

After 2 rides...

Exposed cleat

On my Fizik shoe

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

steventran

by steventran

Thanks for the report!

trex021

by trex021

+1 Thank you

ms6073

by ms6073

Thanks for the review. Very timely as I had just ordered a set for the wife's shoes. but now not so keen to install them if the aero covers come off so easily.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

tinozee

by tinozee

Aside from the aero cover - are the cleats themselves any more stable than the V2? I guess you will have to wait and see, but any rocking yet? I love the low stack, but I'm sick of buying V2s every few months, and pedals every two years..

kode54

by kode54

great review. thx. at least they clip in the same as V2.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

dunbar42

by dunbar42

It might still be worth getting them because the screws are recessed a bit so they won't grind down just walking around. My Speedplay screws get ground down enough after about 9 months that it's tough to remove them.

superdx

by superdx

I never had a problem with the rocking issue, I've had my pedals for about 2 years and 3 pairs of cleats about the same time. They feel exactly the same as a new pair of v2 cleats, right down to that 1% additional effort to clip in, but you really have to think about it to notice it. I suspect it'll become easier to clip in as time goes by.

I wouldn't try to use these cleats without the aero covers. As you can see in the exposed cleat pic, the metal covering the cleat is literally "soft". All those marks showing metal were from probably a total of less than 15 contacts with the ground. If you tried to walk in them exposed like that, I'm fairly certain the cleat would become damaged. I suspect most everyone's going to be messing with glue/epoxy to get these permanently stuck on.

Removing Speedplay screws after they've been ground down seems to be a rite of passage. A friendly stranger at my LBS showed me some tricks using a thin needle-nose plier to twist what's left of the screw head. Also a sharp flat head screw driver to produce a deeper hole on what's left of the Phillips screw threads. Even with these tricks it still took a good 10 minutes to remove one of the really really worn v2 plate screws.

tinozee

by tinozee

My problem with the cleats might not be rocking, not sure. It's just the play in them that I don't like. I think it's the spring. Some sp cleats develop the looseness and other don't. For instance, i just put a fresh pair of V2s on a brand new pair of speedplay specific Sidi wires, and rode about 350 mile in them this week. The right cleat already feels a tad loose. I can reproduce the click/loose feel on every pedal stroke sitting up. If force is mostly down you don't feel it. It's just an annoyance feeling it move a tad on the upstroke. I can confirm it's the cleat and not the pedal by switching back to an older right cleat and the looseness is gone. It seems just some of these springs are crap, or the space they sit in is too big.

I was hoping the cleat got a true redesign that made it function in a more solid way. Does anyone know if the nano cleat is any better?
Last edited by tinozee on Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

wingguy

by wingguy

superdx wrote:- Aero covers are supposed to be more aero but I didn't really feel it. Maybe they have to be paired with the aero pedals (not released yet) to get full benefit?

You jest, right? :wink:

If not, what did you expect to feel?

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

Thanks on the review as I am like many that are just about to pull the trigger on these. I will use JB weld as instructed since I already use loctight on my existing cleats and have never had problems. I am a bit bummed on the cap not staying in since my main problem with the whole system is sand getting in the cleats while I ride by the beach.

kode54

by kode54

wouldn't it be easier to use outdoor 3M adhesive tape to put them on semi permanently? i may try that if i get a pair of new aero cleats.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

superdx

by superdx

wingguy wrote:
superdx wrote:- Aero covers are supposed to be more aero but I didn't really feel it. Maybe they have to be paired with the aero pedals (not released yet) to get full benefit?

You jest, right? :wink:

If not, what did you expect to feel?

Wings on my feet! :mrgreen:

ms6073

by ms6073

kode54 wrote:wouldn't it be easier to use outdoor 3M adhesive tape to put them on semi permanently?

Now there is a good idea. Especially since I have a roll of the 1-inch tape that used to be used for spacing/securing the SRM under-bottom bracket magnets.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

ms6073 wrote:
kode54 wrote:wouldn't it be easier to use outdoor 3M adhesive tape to put them on semi permanently?

Now there is a good idea. Especially since I have a roll of the 1-inch tape that used to be used for spacing/securing the SRM under-bottom bracket magnets.

that stuff HOLDS!! plus, its not as messy to remove when need be.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc