Speedplay Zero Aero walkable cleats mini review

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sychen

by sychen

Good to see real world test. Where did you get it...

My problem with the keepon Kovers was they fall off.... A lot.. Only have one at the moment don't know where the other ones gone to. If some glue or tape can solve the problem still looks the better solution than the Kovers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

My wife had that problem when I got her the original Keep-On covers, but it stopped being an issue after I replaced hers with a set of the relatively new Keep On Kovers Z3 model, which was much more difficult to 'clip' on the cleats so I suspect that short of a crash, the new covers are not going to come off while she is riding.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

superdx

by superdx

I had Keepon Kovers as well, but I lost all 4 covers. 2 were free replacements from Scott (the owner/manufacturer) but after even the replacements fell off, I didn't want to keep bugging him to send me new ones. I suspect he would have done so even if I lost 8 more. Great service, enjoyed communicating with him. Hopefully the Z3s have solved that problem.

ITTY

by ITTY

I also had problems with the original keep on kovers coming off. The ones I'm using now are actually quite difficult to get off (when trying) and I haven't had any issues with them. Sounds like Speedplay did a pretty crappy job of engineering these aero covers for their own pedals if they come off so easily.
Moloko Plus 6.24 kg

"We haven't located us yet"

steventran

by steventran

I've owned the original and V3 Keep On Kovers. Never had one come off on accident.

superdx

by superdx

So I applied JB weld to four corners of the cleat, and did a small test ride around my home. Unclipped a couple times with some force and the aero covers stayed on. I suspect a weaker epoxy will probably do the trick as well if you want to take off the covers at some point in the future. The good news is that even if I can't remove the aero cover because of the JB weld, the screws are just under the cover so it's a simple matter to pry off from the inside and unscrew the whole thing. Speedplay still recommends you change cleats every 12 months, good way to keep up recurring revenue eh?!

Ozrider

by Ozrider

I use the Keepon Kovers Z on 3 pairs of shoes and have not lost one. I did lose one of the earlier design Keepon Kovers. My cleats look as good as new, and since I started using the Speedplay spray lube they work a lot smoother and don't attract as much dirt.
I would like to try the Aero covers and see how they compare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

TALEO

by TALEO

THANX FOR THE REVIEW

droid1973

by droid1973

Great idea
poor execution

superdx

by superdx

So last night I went for a real ride, about 24km with climbs and everything. Didn't lose a single aero cover. The JB weld seems to have worked. Pretty happy with these now, I didn't have to think about it once.

I have a 2nd pair of these cleats and will try to use weaker epoxy so that it's not as difficult to remove down the road.

Squint

by Squint

droid1973 wrote:Great idea
poor execution

That describes Speedplay as a whole.

superdx

by superdx

Short ride yesterday, but left cleat fell of TWICE even with the JB weld.

The left cover also looks slightly deformed. Not a happy camper, need to put more JB weld.

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

Did anyone who got these have trouble installing the 4 screws for cleat to 3 hole adapter? The 4 screws don't even line up on mine without even having the 3 hole adapter on the shoe?

ricey155

by ricey155

:thumbup: nice write up wondered how they worked

scoby13md

by scoby13md

I have been reading your various posts. I wanted to share my experiences with you. I bought two sets of the Zero Aero pedals. I took the first set of the new cleats out for a 117 mile one day tour. At the end of the tour, my left cleat was hanging off. The next weekend, I rode the NY 5 Boro Tour. (48 miles). When I took my shoes off, the left cleat of that set was completely gone.
I contacted Speedplay. A guy named Bill in tech support asked me for some pix, which I sent of both shoes/cleats. He e-mailed and told me he would talk to his boss and get right back to me that afternoon. NOTHING. The next day, I sent him another picture. He said his boss would be in at 2PM EDST, and I would get a call from him. NOTHING. On the third day, I got an email from his boss saying they would send me two new sets of covers. I told them I didn't want anything to do with the Zero Aeros. I told them they were junk. I told them I wanted 3 sets of the older style cleats. (The newer ones are $60 per set. The older were $40 per set.) Today, I got a call from Bill's boss, Yuzo, saying that the designer of the cleats/covers wanted to see my defective covers, and, he wanted to speak to me about my experiences with their product. FIRST, I DIRECTED THEM TO THIS BLOG after they told no one else had a problem with their cleat/cover assembly. My experience translated that as, "Oh, crap. We've got a problem here." They agreed to speak with me on Monday, as I was at work when they called me. I will be off on Monday. As I am new to this thread, I don't know how to post pix to this blog. If someone can help me with that, I will gladly post my pix as well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com